DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hanging in a thunderstorm

Don't know what made me think of this but what do you all do when a thunderstorm pops up? Seems like hanging in a tree wouldn't be the best place to be, but then I guess it's no worse than being in a tent.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There are probably dozens of threads on this...do a quick search for lots of comments.

I just hang. Being the only thing in an open field (i.e. in a tent) isn't the best place to be in a thunderstorm...so that leaves the trees. If I'm in the trees, I might as well be comfortable...so I'll just hang my hammock from two trees that aren't the highest around, and laugh at all the tenters who will be crawling around in the mud in the morning, complaining about their backs.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    you take your chances either way. I read an artical not too long ago (may have been posted on here) where a woman was killed during a storm when a tree fell on her tent.
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Those things scare me silly, largely because they're so unpredictable and capricious. The answer to your question is hold what you got, and hope that your day is not this day.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    In the works.
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Those things scare me silly, largely because they're so unpredictable and capricious. The answer to your question is hold what you got, and hope that your day is not this day.
    Again, words to live by.

Thanks Dave.
    "Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
    - Mark Twain

"Pray to God, but row for shore." - Old Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Site selection plays a big part in the outcome. I spent a night in a hammock in the worst storm in over 50 years under a hootchie and didn't get a single drop on me. The site was in a valley so lightning wasn't much of an issue. The guys in tents all around me weren't so lucky and spent the next day trying to dry everything out.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    My last thunderstorm was the worst one I'd ever been in, last night of a week at Boy Scout Summer Camp. Lightning striking withen 50 -100 feet of us. We (26 scouts and 5 adults) all huddled under the picnic shelter. Standing room only. I could only see my hammock when lightning would light up the sky, which was often. This lasted about 3 hours!! Afterwards, all of the scouts tents were flooded, they ended up having to sleep under the picnic shelter. My hammock and another adult's hammock both had puddles of water "INSIDE" them!!! Both of us had our tarps spread out for hot/humid and the storm came up so fast we couldn't get to them to restake the tarps.
    Hind sight... I was very glad to be under a "hard" roof during that storm. Found out later that a car had been struck by lightning about 300 feet from our camp site. Dead tree limbs were also falling onto some of the tents in our camp site. I had my GG tarp next to my hammock with my gear under it, that all faired just fine because I had that tarp low to the ground. I could have spent the storm in my hammock, if I'd had to. Of course, then I'd would have been able to adjust the tarp and it would have stayed dry. I always check out the trees above me, so I'm not to worried about them falling on me. I'll try to find the safest place to hang my hammock. If there is a "roof" to get under, I'd rather be under that but if not then my hammock is as "safe" as I can make it and I'd rather be there than on the ground.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I still get just as scared hammocking as I did when I tented or tarped. I find the rocking hammock caused by my shaking to be somewhat soothing though...

To me, hearing a large tree coming down in the pitch dark, and not knowing where it's headed to be just as scary...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY (finally done)
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    You have a greater chance of becoming injured on the way to your campsite (be it vehicle or hiking) than you do by being hit by lightening. period. (plus if you do get hit by lightening you will most likely survive it....~75% chance)

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I think we all have an in-bred fear of lightning

that dates back to our anchient ancestor's days.

"Ooops - Og look like burnt stick!" "Smell like roasted brontosaurous!"

I routinely hang in a location near a ridgetop above the Youghiogheny River above Ohiopyle PA. On a friend's property, there are only a few properly sized and situated trees for my HH. One tree has a spiral lightning scar that is only several years old. You can bet that when a doozie of a storm rolls across the area this hanger goes to car. Call me a wimp. Lightning rattles me.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast