Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Winter Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

Hang sites near Wrightsville Beach, NC

I'm planning to visit a friend who has a beach house in Wrightsville Beach, NC... Thought I'd bring the hammock along and have a day or two hang. Any good spots in the area that you fine folks know of?

I found the Masonboro Island Reserve, but a quick search on the forum told me that it apparently has no trees.
    "Its been towed outside the environment... there's nothing out there... 'cept sea and birds and fish... and 20,000 tons of crude oil... and a fire... and the part of the ship the front fell off"

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBow View Post
    I'm planning to visit a friend who has a beach house in Wrightsville Beach, NC... Thought I'd bring the hammock along and have a day or two hang. Any good spots in the area that you fine folks know of?

I found the Masonboro Island Reserve, but a quick search on the forum told me that it apparently has no trees.
    I rarely go to Wrightsville beach, to expensive for me!!
    Masonboro Is. might have a tree or two but they're about 5 foot tall and really more of a bush than a tree. Nice place to camp if you kayak over and pack a tent. No water.
    Carolina Beach State Park is just south of Wrightsville beach and has wilderness camping spots. I've hung there lots of times while camping with my scouts. There's also about 7 miles of trails at the State Park to hike on during the day. Do watch out for snakes though, I was there a couple of weeks ago and just about stepped on a copperhead. No water.
    Croatan Nat. Forest is north towards Cherry Point. 21 mile trail with shelters. If you go there be prepared for swampy conditions, snakes and gators. Parking and a pit toilet are at the south end of the trail. I had no problems finding trees to hang from. All gear has to be off the ground though, MICE run rampant. Water at the shelters comes from wells that you prime and then pump.
    Raven Rock State Park is further inland but is well worth going to see. The rock is just increadable. Nice trails and a nice wilderness camping area with a nice pit toilet. Water comes from the Cape Fear River, you've got to filter it.
    Hope you enjoy your stay here!!

TinaLouise

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Hanging is poor in the Wrightsville Beach area. I live about 3 miles from WB and have to go to Carolina Beach to hang. You can also hang in the tent sites without molestation from the rangers. There is access to water and a bathhouse, in this campground. Plus, a secret trail behind campsite 20 takes you down to a nice fishing spot at Snow's Cut. Even though this is the drive-in family camping area, be aware of deer, raccoons, and other critters in your camp at night.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Croatan Nat. Forest is north towards Cherry Point. 21 mile trail with shelters.
    This is the Neusiok Trail http://www.neusioktrail.org. Acutally there are lots of places to hang along the trail. My favorite is the Pine Cliffs section along the Neuse River. The only water is at the shelters.

If you have any questions about this trail, please let me know.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    This is why I love this site. So much great "insider" information. I may have to try CBSP.

• + New Posts