Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger1dd View Post
    ...I decided to finally got up, and check out what failed. The O part of the S ring had bent enough for the webbing to slip out.

Interesting. I've tried, on several occasions, using a vise and every tool in my shop, to bend the hooks on straps enough so that they could be removed, and put on other straps. Fail. They are bad to the bone. By comparison, the s-hooks sold at hardware stores are like putty. This reenforces the point that all ratchet straps are not the same, and must be used with some caution.

I would be very surprised, however, if any of them will stretch very much...if they did, they would be worthless for securing a load.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Interesting. I've tried, on several occasions, using a vise and every tool in my shop, to bend the hooks on straps enough so that they could be removed, and put on other straps.

Yes, I found that out when trying to remove the rings. It wasn't the actual Metal, but that hard rubber coating, and the force of us sitting on it either bent it enough to break it and let the eye slip through, or the eye just broke through on it's on. It wasn't an actual failure on the part of the metal. Oh no, those things broke my hammer when I was trying to remove them.

But, I'm going to try to take them to my Grandfather tomorrow, he's been in construction for the past 40 or 50 years and has every tool known to man, so maybe we'll be able to compromise those heavy suckers.

I'll post updates tomorrow.

p.s. I have used the webbing since, and just hook everything in through the eyes, haven't had a problem yet.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I use straps similar to these. After attempting a couple different saws, I finally managed to cut the hooks off using an angle grinder.

I use them with rings with no issue (and no stretch). As someone mentioned, not all straps are created equal, but mine are the cheap polyester ones from Target.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I have removed several of those eye-hooks from ratchet straps. There are two tricks:
    1. Cut the rubber casing where the eye comes together.
    2.Lock the hook in a vise so that the end of the eye (where the round bar comes back to meet itself) is in the jaws while keeping the hook and the rest of the eye out of the vise jaws. Now insert a prybar, piece of steel rod, what ever is available, into the eye and twist so that you are opening the eye to the side, trying to make it into a helix. Don't push away from yourself, pull towards yourself. It's safer that way, as the failure mode of levering something away from you can involve a prybar in the teeth! You don't want to take links apart by opening them up in two dimensions.

This is one of those things that is obvious if you have worked with chain before, but may not be so obvious to everyone. BTW,I have never seen a welded eye on a 1400# ratchet strap.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I have removed several of those eye-hooks from ratchet straps. There are two tricks:
    1. Cut the rubber casing where the eye comes together.
    2.Lock the hook in a vise so that the end of the eye (where the round bar comes back to meet itself) is in the jaws while keeping the hook and the rest of the eye out of the vise jaws. Now insert a prybar, piece of steel rod, what ever is available, into the eye and twist so that you are opening the eye to the side, trying to make it into a helix. Don't push away from yourself, pull towards yourself. It's safer that way, as the failure mode of levering something away from you can involve a prybar in the teeth! You don't want to take links apart by opening them up in two dimensions.

This is one of those things that is obvious if you have worked with chain before, but may not be so obvious to everyone. BTW,I have never seen a welded eye on a 1400# ratchet strap.
    Gotcha.

My days of trying to open those hooks predate the day of enlightenment when I got a sewing machine. Now I just cut the webbing, remove the hook, and sew a new eye.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12