Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing

A different type of webbing...?

I was recently browsing, and came across the idea of using those "Ratcheting Automotive Tie Downs" as a replacement for my "ever-so-stretcy" Slap-strap-pro's. I found these:

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Premium-...ref=pd_cp_hi_1

Aside from the massive weight penalties, what would you guys think about using these for webbing? Then I can use my slap straps to make my catapult

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Plenty of folks use that for their suspension around here. Not pretty, not lightweight, but the price is nice and they work just fine.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I took an old pair I had in my car and cut them to use with whoppies when I first got my ENO. Don't know what they are made of but they have some stretch. You can probably find cheaper ones at your local Home Depot or similar store. Just avoid nylon.

Images
    Those 1" straps are listed as 1500 lb tested polyester. The ones I have used made fine light weight hammock straps.

I do worry a bit about using cinch buckles, cinching rings, triglides, or other mechanical devices on just any 1" polyester webbing that comes along. I don't know the answers, but I do realize that all 1", 1500 lb polyester webbing isn't the same and they are likely different for very good reasons. For the same strength they use different construction (weaves?) that effect thickness, weight, reusability, etc. It is those 'etc.' that worry me with those mechanical devices on hammock suspensions.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I have a few pair of tie down straps. I cut off the s-hooks and got rid of the buckle/ratchet and just wrap them to the tree. You can sew new eyes on the ends or tie a loop on the end. They work fine. As mentioned, avoid nylon. Poly is good!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I cut off the s-hooks and got rid of the buckle/ratchet and just wrap them to the tree
    Yeah, I did that after my "New adventure" today. Word to the wise, to anyone considering using these, PLEASE DO NOT use the S rings to attach to anything, even (Like me) the ones that are made into a circle.

Long story short, after a while of the straps not failing, my brother decided to see if the double nest could hold two people. It did. The straps didn't. We got to take a very fun trip (Roll) down the hill, into a very comfy barb wire fence.

after a few minutes of just laying there wondering what in the world had happened, I decided to finally got up, and check out what failed. The O part of the S ring had bent enough for the webbing to slip out.

-------------Back to reality---------------------
    Other than the fun ride, I have complete confidence in using the webbing, and just using the (little) less convenient eyes on the ends, and I like having the option to use the ratchet to adjust either side and the sag while actually sitting in the hammock.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    This 1500 # ought to be fine.
    I bought similar and use em. I, also, think these are polyester based on the rating.

Pics when you're done!!!!

I use a sewing awl to stitch any loops I want in the tree hugger ends
    Tom

There was a thread on here a while back that talked about this very thing and there was also the part number listed in the post, but I can't find it now! In the thread the person called the company and got verification on the material used for the strap, and found that not all the straps are poly or polypropylene! If I manage to find that thread I will post it, unless someone beat's me too it!?!?!?!

HA, I found it;
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...p?t=604&page=6
    Post #58, and it was HappyCamper that called the company!
    Hope this helps????

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    HA, I found it;
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...p?t=604&page=6
    Post #58, and it was HappyCamper that called the company!
    Hope this helps????
    Yeah, thanks! I have mine already, I tested first by sitting down, with one strap and on slap strap just to test, then migrated to both straps, it works quite nice, and I added a 3rd between the two connect to the trees to add a sag-control line which also works nice for a gear ridge line (Such as shoes, and my mesh bag to hold anything I might need at hand.

The only problem, is with the welded s rings that I told of in my earlier post, which, I cannot seem to remove, but I've gone to using just the eye's that were sewn in before, and haven't had anymore problems. It's rather stormy around here, so it may be tomorrow before I get to setup the hammock in the yard to take some pictures. I would suggest the kind that comes with ratchets to anyone wanting to try, they weight around 5 oz each, so you can setup one side of your suspension without, and the other with it, and can still adjust height whilst sitting in the hammock. That's a pretty big deal to me.

Anyway, I'll put up some pics tomorrow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast