Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just orderd my Claytor

I just ordered a Claytor Jungle Hammock. I can't wait to try it out. Too bad its going to seem like a long time to get here.

Well done hope you don't wait too long .I love my one the tarp also.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Been sleeping in a claytor JH for more than 100 nights per year for two years. I really like it. Hope your experience is positive.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Been sleeping in a claytor JH for more than 100 nights per year for two years. I really like it. Hope your experience is positive.
    I'd be surprised if even Neo gets that kind of time in his CJH. That might make you the CJH Guru!

Do you sleep diagonal? If so, do you need some thing under your knees, particularly to prevent calf pressure?

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    Has anyone removed the second layer in their Jungle. I use a under quilt and have no reason for it, it just seems to get in the way. Its a heavy hammock compared to others. And am wondering if it will compromise the hammock when removed?

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I'd be surprised if even Neo gets that kind of time in his CJH. That might make you the CJH Guru!

Do you sleep diagonal? If so, do you need some thing under your knees, particularly to prevent calf pressure?

Billy Bob,

I do put something under my knees, and I am a sound sleeper though I change positions often. I spend a lot of time on my left side, though I would not say I sleep diagonally, I am too big for that. If I sleep on my back for a long period of time, my knees and calves get stiff. A very little something like a sweater or something under me makes a big difference.

As to the issue of removing the second layer, if you are a small person it might work, but I think that inner lining is an integral part of the hammock and ripping stitches to remove it would require some follow up stitching. I did some stitching on mine as soon as I got it because of frayed materials and stitches. Just a little insurance that I think has added to its durability.

I paddle so weight is not a huge issue for me. When I backpack I still carry the claytor with IX top and underquilts. Very little weight. Cold weather, I add my IX top quilt to my underquilt giving me 4 layers of IX under me and a down bag for a top quilt.

When I get more resources and less debt, (by year end) I will be getting something more from Storm Crow.

I think the Claytor was a great beginning hammock. For the price, the utility of the hammock and the diamond tarp have been a great way to learn about hanging and just get out in the woods and on the water. That's what it is all about.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just ordered my suspension from AHE for the Claytor. If I'm lucky it may beat the hammock here

Since I can still claim noob status, are there any good pics of using the webbing and cinch buckles in action? You see, I've only EVER used the ENO slap straps and carabiners so I'm behind the curve for other options. I think from what I've seen the webbing is tied to the tree via knot or is it pulled through the eye of the end of the webbing like the slap straps?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by wyattd5 View Post
    Just ordered my suspension from AHE for the Claytor. If I'm lucky it may beat the hammock here

Since I can still claim noob status, are there any good pics of using the webbing and cinch buckles in action? You see, I've only EVER used the ENO slap straps and carabiners so I'm behind the curve for other options. I think from what I've seen the webbing is tied to the tree via knot or is it pulled through the eye of the end of the webbing like the slap straps?
    The easiest way to attach the webbing is with either a Dutch Clip or a carabiner. Put the biner on the sewn loop, pass it around the tree, and then clip onto the standing part of the webbing, and you're done.

AHE has some very nice biners that will serve you well.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    I used the rings from AHE, same style setup as you are going to use. On my CJH I used a small section of their webbing leaving it in the hammock channel to my ring buckles. They are at most 4-5 inches away from the hammock. I did it this way cause I wanted to used the channel ends instead of whipping them and the webbing was meaty enough for the channel ends. I was paranoid to replace the stock webbing with a thin rope thinking it would grind through the nylon ends and stiching. Keeping the rings and small section of webbing tight to the hammock will eliminate the water wicking issues.

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    The easiest way to attach the webbing is with either a Dutch Clip or a carabiner. Put the biner on the sewn loop, pass it around the tree, and then clip onto the standing part of the webbing, and you're done.

AHE has some very nice biners that will serve you well.
    I can never understand this way. Why bother using the biners? Just loop the straight end through the end loop of the strap taking it to your buckles. Saving weight of 2 biners.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast