Thread: Zipper Size??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zipper Size??

Trying to get all the materials together before I start a DIY hammock and tarp project. I would like to make a bug net/cover. I notice may people using zippers but not much talk about what size is most common or best to use as well as what features to make sure you get when buying. If I missed a thread that covers all this please excuse me and post the link to get me headed in the right direction. Any info on size, pulls, stops, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    zippers are sized by the width of the teeth when closed measured in mm. So a #5 zipper is 5mm when the teeth are closed. The bigger the zipper the heavier it is and the less flexible it is. I would not recommend anything larger than a #5 nor would we recommend anything lighter than #3. My own personal preference for gear that gets moderate to hard use is a $5. For things that need to be big but bomb-proof a $10 is almost indestructible. _However_ the choice of sliders thins out above #5. For example I have not been able to find double tab sliders above a #5.

Sliders _MUST_ be purchased to match the zipper tape. It can be very difficult to find separate sliders after the purchase of the tape so count correctly and make sure you get what you need.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I'm not very hard on my gear, so I usually use a #3 coil. I put those on two hammocks so far. One was large teenager tested last Fall. They're both holding up very well!

You just need to consider what you'll be using the zipper for. Do you need to zip from both inside and outside of something? Get the double tab (pulls). Are you going to sew both ends into something? Then you won't need a stop (just sew the end into the fabric).

Usually, if you are calling to order somewhere, they can answer questions to help you get exactly what you need for a certain project if you're not sure. I find the folks at Quest to be very helpful.
    Last edited by Perkolady; 07-15-2010 at 17:13.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Do you need to zip from both inside and outside of something? Get the double tab (pulls). Are you going to sew both ends into something? Then you won't need a stop (just sew the end into the fabric).
    Terminology can be a sticking point so make sure you know the language your vendor uses. Frequently if you ask for "pulls" you will get a loop of fabric or leather or some such thingie. If you want the jobber that slides along the zipper tape you may need to ask for a slider. Zipper is made in both "coil" and "teeth" formats. For size designation it makes no difference. But coil is "self-repairing" and teeth are not. Sliders can not be interchanged between teeth and coil. zipper "tape" is the fabric the coil or teeth are set into. However it is important to note that not all vendors will use the same terminology the same way. Yep.. it's a jungle out there.

The other way of ending a zipper so a "stop" is in needed is to turn the tape back on itself at an angle. Stops can be a PITA to use if you don't have the fastening tools.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks for all the info so far. So if I wanted to use the zipper for a bug net that I would want to put a double zipper in so it can be open/closed anywhere along the length of the opening I would want to use a "coil" style zipper? Correct?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You are going to need 2 zipper pulls.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jduck1 View Post
    Thanks for all the info so far. So if I wanted to use the zipper for a bug net that I would want to put a double zipper in so it can be open/closed anywhere along the length of the opening I would want to use a "coil" style zipper? Correct?
    yep, a "make your own length" coil zipper. Echoing Dutch, you want two pulls, each pull having two tabs.

I've almost always used #3, recently got and used some #2.5 when #3 was unavailable. Hard to see the difference.

Don't make any tight turns with the zipper!
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 07-16-2010 at 06:49.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts