Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps

Are there any downsides to Whoopie Sling Suspension

Hey all, so I have been going over what kind of suspension system I would like to go with. I'm considering whoopie slings. Now keep in mind I'm a noob and I have never seen these in action. The queston is, are there any downsides to the Whoopie Sling Suspension System? If so what are they?
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The main downside is the need to use separate whoopies and tree huggers. With web strap suspensions it's all one piece and goes up easier/quicker.

The benefit to whoopies is they're light weight and low volume.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    another downside of a whoopie sling is that you extend the minimum distance between trees between which you can hang--at twice the length of the bury, figure 2 ft. Perhaps more of an issue when you want to hang from a stand than when you can choose trees.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    another downside of a whoopie sling is that you extend the minimum distance between trees between which you can hang--at twice the length of the bury, figure 2 ft. Perhaps more of an issue when you want to hang from a stand than when you can choose trees.
    Hey grizz, I have to be honest, I don't really understand completely what you mean. Please remember I'm a noob so if you would'nt mind ..... just talk to me like I'm 12yrs old.
    Jons4real

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    Hey grizz, I have to be honest, I don't really understand completely what you mean. Please remember I'm a noob so if you would'nt mind ..... just talk to me like I'm 12yrs old.
    Let say you have a hammock stand or two trees that are really close together. Lets say the trees are so close that from the actual hammock end there is only 6 inches to the tree. The whoopie slings have a bury i.e the section of the sling where the cord goes into itself. It is in the bury where the constriction occurs under tension that prevents the adjustable loop from loosening (imagine a Japanese finger puzzle) yet when the constriction is released the adjustable loop is free to lengthen or shorten. The buries are on both slings on both ends of the hammock and they vary in length. If the buries are say 8 inches long and on top of that the fixed loops that connect to the hammock are say 3 inches long, then you have a minimum of 11 inches on either side of the hammock which is longer than the 6 inches established at the beginning of this scenario. The hammock therefore has to be attached by another means because you cannot really use the buries around the tree or stand. This make sense?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Let say you have a hammock stand or two trees that are really close together. Lets say the trees are so close that from the actual hammock end there is only 6 inches to the tree. The whoopie slings have a bury i.e the section of the sling where the cord goes into itself. It is in the bury where the constriction occurs under tension that prevents the adjustable loop from loosening (imagine a Japanese finger puzzle) yet when the constriction is released the adjustable loop is free to lengthen or shorten. The buries are on both slings on both ends of the hammock and they vary in length. If the buries are say 8 inches long and on top of that the fixed loops that connect to the hammock are say 3 inches long, then you have a minimum of 11 inches on either side of the hammock which is longer than the 6 inches established at the beginning of this scenario. The hammock therefore has to be attached by another means because you cannot really use the buries around the tree or stand. This make sense?
    Makes sense to me!

that's what I woulda said. Just like that. Well, maybe not. Yours is better actually.
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 07-15-2010 at 21:58.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    [QUOTE=odds;286211] oh ok lol, I see... thanks for the info, it had me thinking.
    Jons4real

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    The main downside is the need to use separate whoopies and tree huggers. With web strap suspensions it's all one piece and goes up easier/quicker.
    Unless you use a product like Opie's All-in-one suspension with the reversed whoopie's fixed eye attached directly to the tree hugged. Similar to what GvilleDave describes but with the whoopee reversed.
    Last edited by BER; 07-15-2010 at 22:00.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Unless you use a product like Opie's All-in-one suspension with the reversed whoopie's fixed eye attached directly to the tree hugged.
    But then, if I understand it correctly, you lose the capability to suck the whoopie in close to the tree, making the required distance between trees longer, yet.

I love me straps.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    But then, if I understand it correctly, you lose the capability to suck the whoopie in close to the tree, making the required distance between trees longer, yet.
    It can be adjusted either by choosing to use shorter straps (Opie offered three different lengths if I remember correctly) or by wrapping the strap several times around the tree before clipping it to itself.
    Last edited by BER; 07-15-2010 at 22:19.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast