Which style hammock

I am about to make my first hammock, and am wondering if I should make it Speer style or bridge style. I dont have hiking poles so it would add extra weight to carry spreader bars.

Thanks

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you don't have experience sewing, start with the Speer style...the bridge is more complicated, with reinforcement required in certain places, etc. A simple stitch mistake in a Speer-type isn't a problem, but could drop you on your butt if you mess it up in a bridge-style. JMHO.

Depends on your experience with a sewing machine.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

well, i have friends and family who can sew really well, so I would get their help. I think I will go with the Speer style cause its easier, lighter (no poles) and can work with ideas and mods I was thinking of.

Does nobody here make spreader-bar hammocks? They have the advantages of an asym and the technology level of a speer.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

Speer it

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    If you don't have experience sewing, start with the Speer style...the bridge is more complicated, with reinforcement required in certain places, etc. A simple stitch mistake in a Speer-type isn't a problem, but could drop you on your butt if you mess it up in a bridge-style. JMHO.

Depends on your experience with a sewing machine.
    actually, sewing a bridge hammock was my first sewing project ever. As far as sewing goes, I'd guess it is mostly a wash between a bridge and a Speer (I don't think that re-enforcement is needed anywhere....I reenforced the corners on my first one but experience with it doesn't suggest a real need for that, so subsequent efforts dropped that). Straight stiches anyway. JJ is right that you need to get the stiching of fabric and suspension webbing right. I've found that's a matter of being careful. But here's the thing, once you've got the bridge sewn, you're home free. Gin up some spreaders and you're done. With the Speer type you have whippings to do, optimize, adjust. Lots of discussion on the forums about that, so the issue is real.

BUT (notice the emphasis) if you don't carry poles and don't want to carry dedicated spreader bars, the bridge ain't for you. And another advantage is you have lots of experienced Speer-style hammock builders on the HF who are more than happy to help you out. We bridge builders are a small and lonely crew

Grizz

• + New Posts