Thread: Bug net

Bug net

When I tried my new BMBH in the mosquito rich Sierra's last week, I got very frustrated every time I got up to go to the bathroom (normally about 4 times a night) I had to undo the omni tape from the side and the top, and redo it when I got back in. I really had a difficult time sealing the net on the outside of the hammock from the inside of the hammock. It took so long and so much effort that instead of falling quickly back to sleep I was wide awake for the next 20-30 minutes.
    Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you,
    John

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I don't know about a simple technique, but you could get a zipper mod for it...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Pee bottle!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

JRB BMB netting

I have the same issues as you do.

I am holding off the zipper mod for now because I want to see how much I like having no bug net in the Fall and Winter. Not as a weight savings, but for the unrestricted view.

Might ask 2Q/ZQ for a "two zipper mod" so that bug net can be taken off completely.

This is how I am handling it.

1. GO right before bedtime.

2. Attach netting all the way around, gathering at the centers.

3. Open up as little as possible to get in. I open as little netting as possible on the side I am getting in on & let the rest of the netting pull open on its own as I get in.

4. Once my weight is supported by the suspension, I pull my legs up and in to limit the amount of netting that opens at the bottom.

I find I only have to re-attach the netting from just below my waist to the corner at the head end on the one side.

I will have to look into the zipper mod cause even if I don't drink anything after 6:00 pm and go as much as possible it still means at least 3 trips during the night. I have to decide if I am going to keep this hammock before I put any more $$ into it.
    I don't think I trust a pee bottle inside the hammock. Or more correctly I don't trust myself.

Thanks,
    John

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I dont have a problem with the bug net. I have a problem with Omni tape. My least favorite "feature". Hard to get the net back on, catches on all my clothing, noisy and difficult to get a good fit with the MW3 convertaible.

There is no really good way to deal with it other then leave it off, modification or get a replacement bug net. I think I will eventually get the zipper mod.

Good luck. Let us know if you figure out something better.

~ S.

• + New Posts