DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Lightweight hammock setups

How much does your hammock set up weigh? I got into this thinking I could shave some weight off my North Face Tadpole tent for bike camping and fastpacking. Apparently ENO is the way to go -- altogether, my hammock, tarp, bug net, straps and stakes come in at 4.5 pounds. That's adding a pound plus over the tent. Guessing there are lighter set ups out there?

Also kind of horrified at the cost of some of the systems. Looking at Warbonnet, you could easily end up with more than $1,000 if you bought it all, including top and bottom quilts. Now I see why folks are into DIY. Might need to see my mom for some quilting advice, could end up with the fanciest TQ around! Irish chain maybe...

;-)

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz ripstop (channel end)
    Tarp
    DIY McCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + 32deg bag
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel sling
    Images

Wink current rig

Sleep System 63.7 oz = 3.98125 lbs
    diy Hammock 10
    suspension 7.7
    diy under quilt 22
    32 deg. Bag 24

Shelter 27.1 oz = 1.69375 lbs
    diy Hex Cat tarp 16
    6 ti stakes 4.2
    diy bug net 6.9

This will keep me cozy down below freezing maybe high twenties then I'd switch to a warmer bag. I can shave some weight if I switch to whoopee slings.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My hammock, tarp, guy lines, bug net, straps, whoopie slings and stakes come in at 1 lb 14.7 oz. Plus add 8.5 oz for my IX under quilt.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I wouldn't say ENO is the way to go. Their hammock is comparable to others, but their other gear is generally quite a bit heavier (and also a bit less expensive). Personally, I'm considering getting rid of my new ENO Double b/c it's not as comfortable as my DIYs.

Expensive...many of the setups are. You can have two of these: lightweight, lots of features, or cheap. Not all three. Compare what you get with the Warbonnet against a much cheaper setup that includes bug protection, a place to store some equipment, rain protection, and (since you included it) top and bottom insulation. You could easily put together a kit for under $300, but it would weigh 2-3x as much.

And that math holds true for ground sleeping, too. Unless you find one on sale, a sleepign bag with comparable temp and weight is likely more expensive than a Black Mamba.

In general, if you compare feature-per-feature and include price in the equation, a hammock setup will be very close in weight to a ground setup. But you have to look at what ground sleepers actually carry rather than the light stuff you can find online, though. For example...people often compare the weight of a tarp and CCF pad against the weight of a hammock with bug net and underquilt. Not accurate.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts