Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Personally, i feel too much is made of catagorization...

Basic hammock loads almost always make one a canidate for UL unlessthe pack a Dutch Oven also...

Almost any hammock, large tarp,with lines, three season UQ and three season TQ will come in at 6.5 pounds...(as light as 4 pounds with some planning and work) a pack for a pound, clothes bag including hats and rain cover for 2.5 pounds, pound for a kitchen, pound for first aid and ditty and you are at the " UL Standard of 12 pounds"...and all of these numbers are easily beat for three seasons hanging easy in 10-12 pounds....

As to volume.... I get this load and 4+ day food loads in a 2000cc GG Miniposa, with pockets half empty and the top pouch left home.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Nothing against BPL but trying to follow multiple forums is just too laborious. This is home for me.

+1 on Pan's comments about categorization.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    The reason I got a BPL membership was to read all the articles... having done that, I did not renew. (That and I have fallen on hard times. ) I spent some time in the forums, but some of the members are ridiculous - you post and they want you to provide a bibliography of sources, etc. Everything there seems driven by numbers and spreadsheets. The mods will come down on people with an iron fist and some of the posters - ugh, I just rolled my eyes at the condescension and bailed out of the forums entirely.

I don't think I would even bother even if they had a hammock subforum. I'm probably on the edge of UL, certainly by the standards of my hiking buddies, but that forum just sets my teeth on edge.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight
    Tarp
    Equinox UL Tarp
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Breeze
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Liking this thread

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Categorization. What if you were working on an ultralight underquilt? Would it go into the Bottom Insulation forum or the Ultralight forum? Or what if you considered a 2 lbs UQ ultralight, but someone else didn't...which forum would it go in then?

That's why we don't have an ultralight forum. Keep the categories simple and use the search and tag functions to find what you want. Weight is just another discriminator, but the function is what sets the gear apart from other gear.

Besides, "if we build it, they will come. No thanks."

( That was a total joke. I'm considering a 5 lbs base weight trip before the end of summer, so some of us are already here.)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Sassy!

But on that note, if you think your gear is ultralight or the discussion is about ultralight, you could tag the opening post it with "ultralight" to make searching easier for the rest of us.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Categorization. What if you were working on an ultralight underquilt? Would it go into the Bottom Insulation forum or the Ultralight forum? Or what if you considered a 2 lbs UQ ultralight, but someone else didn't...which forum would it go in then?

That's why we don't have an ultralight forum. Keep the categories simple and use the search and tag functions to find what you want. Weight is just another discriminator, but the function is what sets the gear apart from other gear.

( That was a total joke. I'm considering a 5 lbs base weight trip before the end of summer, so some of us are already here.)
    i agree Jeff....we really don't need one over here....
    besides i like the forums just how they are...i feel they fit multiple needs
    and as an UL backpacker i feel i get better quality info overhere...then i do from BPL ..just my .01 cents
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

this thread is funny
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123