Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Heh. It's just a matter of time... Will it be me? Will it be Opie? Who's going to be the first to put it to the CHUNKY test?

I'm hoping if I stall just a little bit more....

Boris

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've noticed these in the Cabelas catalogs... my thought was that it could make an excellent winter camping hammock? With that tent-type enclosure vs. a tarp, I think you'd have a nice micro-climate where you'd pick up several degrees in air temperature.

On the other hand, it sort of reminds me of my old bivy tent. I used to get lots of condensation on the bugnet of that tent, which would thaw at times and drip on my face (usually hit me right in the ear-hole, sleep through that!) So I dunno for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    I've noticed these in the Cabelas catalogs... my thought was that it could make an excellent winter camping hammock? With that tent-type enclosure vs. a tarp, I think you'd have a nice micro-climate where you'd pick up several degrees in air temperature.

On the other hand, it sort of reminds me of my old bivy tent. I used to get lots of condensation on the bugnet of that tent, which would thaw at times and drip on my face (usually hit me right in the ear-hole, sleep through that!) So I dunno for sure.
    Although I put aside the tent-top for the reasons I listed in the original post, it would probably OK in the winter. There are mesh vents at both ends of the hammock itself (you can see them in several of the pictures I linked) that are protected under the top. Also where the top comes down to the sides of the hammock, there is a strip of netting between the bottom edge of the top and where it meets the side cut of the hammock. Finally there are two vents in the sides of the top near the head position that are held open by stiff curved pieces of plastic. There are a few pictures of using the tent in snow on the linked site from the designer.

I wonder though whether you'd get snow into your hammock getting in/out given the lack of larger tarp coverage. May not be too much of a problem though. I will have to leave further speculation on this to others as I sent the top off to Gargoyle to play with.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    BER,
    I'm going to use the top on mine, but I'd like to replace the webbing they use for a ridge line w/cord.
    Do you think paracord would stretch too much?

I don't think I would use paracord if you want it to be structural, but just to hold the tent top I think it would be fine. One way to find out though.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    Remembered I had some 7/64 amsteel, so it has an amsteel ridgeline now.
    Now the only thing left to modify is the spreader bars, and they should be here soon.
    That should get it down very close to 4# total for the complete hammock w/rainfly. Essentially the same weight I was previously packing with the DD Frontline & tarp.

Hopefully I'll get to test it tomorrow night if the weather forecast is correct.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    Finished the mods today!
    Got the new aluminum poles for spreader bars, and got them cut to fit the hammock.

The modified hammock still has the top (tarp) installed.
    (BTW - The top does extend past the edges of the hammock, so you can be COMPLETELY ENCLOSED! The zippered mesh for insect protection has a "storm flap" that can be closed or be held open by toggles for ventilation. My guess is that with a good pad it would be comfortable for 3-season use, and with an underquilt it could easily be a winter hammock.)

The finished weight was 64oz. (4 lb) which was my target weight. Have rain protection, bug protection, and (hopefully) comfort all in one package that sets up and stores easily! Stored in stuff sack it measures about 6" diameter x 19" long. It would easily stuff smaller, but the longest section of spreader bar is 19", so I just rolled it and used the furnished sack.

Now if mother nature cooperates I'll test it this weekend.
    (watching the forecast carefully, one source says cloudy, another says thunderstorms. )

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    I can't wait till someone does a full UL knockoff version of this tent top and all, I bet it would be pretty light and as others have said make a great winter hammock with basically a built in sock.

can someone pm me with item #'s or exactly what you ordered for spreader bars and ends to fit in the holes? I tested the hammock this summer and yes it is a bit heavy to backpack with. I made the mistake of using the top spreader bar to adjust my body after getting in my sleeping bag and..... snap! In hindsight I should not have put any force on the middle of the bar where it is most vournerable. Will the alum. hold up as a spreader? With disc issues in the lower back, a hammock has become almost a necessity. I started with an eno off the shelf and moved to the chrysalis. I would really like to modify for weight so I am also curious on the rain fly material everyone uses..... and if it can be aquired from the same place as the spreader bars.

Alot of questions for 1st post but it seems like this is the type of forum that everyone helps each other out. Thanks in advance.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billman View Post
    can someone pm me with item #'s or exactly what you ordered for spreader bars and ends to fit in the holes? I tested the hammock this summer and yes it is a bit heavy to backpack with. I made the mistake of using the top spreader bar to adjust my body after getting in my sleeping bag and..... snap! In hindsight I should not have put any force on the middle of the bar where it is most vournerable. Will the alum. hold up as a spreader? With disc issues in the lower back, a hammock has become almost a necessity. I started with an eno off the shelf and moved to the chrysalis. I would really like to modify for weight so I am also curious on the rain fly material everyone uses..... and if it can be aquired from the same place as the spreader bars.

Alot of questions for 1st post but it seems like this is the type of forum that everyone helps each other out. Thanks in advance.
    Bill
    Bill,
    The replacement spreaders I used were ordered from Quest Outfitters. About 2/3 down this linked page. 0.625" aluminum poles. For my setup I used 3 poles with inserts (item #4060) and 2 poles without inserts (#4061). Also 4 endtips (#4032). My head end spreader is 3 equal length pieces (13"--not including insert), the foot is 2 equal length pieces (17.5"), cut to lengths with a hacksaw. The endtips fit right into the holes of the suspension webbing through which the stock poles were screwed. I think the aluminum should hold up fine provided you don't use the poles to move your body.

My tarp is a WB Superfly. I am still waiting on an MLD Cuben hex hammock tarp (5 weeks now....). Quest does sell 1.1 SilNylon (look under coated fabrics) and Cuben if you are thinking of DIYing your tarp. The cuben they sell is lighter weight than what seems to be used by "most" cuben tarp manufacturers.

Brian
    Last edited by BER; 08-13-2010 at 11:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast