Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Citico-SlickRock Wilderness July 2010

Well after two Wilderness experiences you know...first was the Sipsey and the Sipsey Mile, now I can add the Citico Mile. Most of us spend time on 'groomed' trails like the AT,PCT, and others. What I now know is that if it says 'wilderness' you better plan differently especially when it comes to distances and time.
    This hike was by the invitation of Wisenber and it was great hiking with him. We met up with Coy and Tipi Walter on Bobs Bald after leaving Beech Gap...the climb up was uneventful but still ended up setting the hammock almost at dark. At 5400+ feet it was nice and cool, the next morning much cooler and really pleasant. The drop off Bobs Bald goes in my history books---what we thought was a 6-7 mile day was really a 12+ mile day and 4-5 miles of it was hiking where a trail had once been (wilderness), serious bushwacking and averaging at times 0.5mph. Sad thinking that the trail we were dropping on is almost gone.
    Second nighs camp after the drop and crossing Slick Rock Creek 11 times found us in the good company of Tipi Walter again, and Sgt.Rock and family---so impressed watching his mom dealing with a hammock! Dixie Critter I've read about but never met-glad I did and Rock's sons are good people just like their dad.
    The hike out had a bit of gain, 1200-1300 feet and was easy at first via the Stiff Knee, but the last mile of it was devoid of pleasantries-very steep, eroding side trail and major HEAT and HUMIDITY. Far Gap never looked so good! Still wonderful experience yet another area and wonderful as always being with the hiking family.
    Here's the vid:

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Up the hill? I'm not sure Mr. Snake liked your idea. Thanks for a great video (as always).

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Looks like a great trip. I really like the quick video cuts in the beginning.

Did you guys get in any of the fishing you hoped to do?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Always impressed with MM's knowledge of plants ,,,,,,and the "snake whisperer" segment was ,,,?,,,priceless.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    MedicineMan,

I've been waiting for this trip report. Thanks for taking the time to put it up. I saw you playing with a snake that was making a lot of racket, but I didn't see a trout. Did you guys get a chance to try out your new Tenkara rods?

Always fun to see what you find on the trail to eat, drink, or heal what ails you. Last night, I made the first batch of jelly from an invasive species that grows along the borders of our land. Autumn olive (elaeagnus umbellata). Even though it is called Autumn Olive, we have to pick the berries now to beat the animals to the punch, and the tart berries actually make better jelly. The berries are supposedly full of licopene, and I'm told it makes a fantastic wine, as well, though I've never tried that. We tried to kill it at first, but then decided if you can't beat it, eat it.

Salty

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Always impressed with MM's knowledge of plants ,,,,,,and the "snake whisperer" segment was ,,,?,,,priceless.
    Yeah, I could tell Wisenber was enjoying the heck out of that!

Salty

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    NCPatrick, Honestly I was trying to respect the snake and downhill would have been a journey for him.
    Salty, . Autumn olive are an invader but I love them! You read up on them so you know how much power they have.
    Fishing? would have been nice...we walked 11 hours the second day-no time, but the last morning Wisenber got up around 6ish and tried..I slept in until 8is.
    AS,I'm learning

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Looks like a great trip. I really like the quick video cuts in the beginning.

Did you guys get in any of the fishing you hoped to do?
    With the extra hike, I only managed to get in about 20 minutes of fishing around sunrise Sunday.

I think I'll take the shortcut next time.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Yeah, I could tell Wisenber was enjoying the heck out of that!

Salty
    Darned tootin! Who do you think was holding the camera without a zoom!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Well after two Wilderness experiences you know...first was the Sipsey and the Sipsey Mile, now I can add the Citico Mile. Most of us spend time on 'groomed' trails like the AT,PCT, and others. What I now know is that if it says 'wilderness' you better plan differently especially when it comes to distances and time.
    This hike was by the invitation of Wisenber and it was great hiking with him. We met up with Coy and Tipi Walter on Bobs Bald after leaving Beech Gap...the climb up was uneventful but still ended up setting the hammock almost at dark. At 5400+ feet it was nice and cool, the next morning much cooler and really pleasant. The drop off Bobs Bald goes in my history books---what we thought was a 6-7 mile day was really a 12+ mile day and 4-5 miles of it was hiking where a trail had once been (wilderness), serious bushwacking and averaging at times 0.5mph. Sad thinking that the trail we were dropping on is almost gone.
    Second nighs camp after the drop and crossing Slick Rock Creek 11 times found us in the good company of Tipi Walter again, and Sgt.Rock and family---so impressed watching his mom dealing with a hammock! Dixie Critter I've read about but never met-glad I did and Rock's sons are good people just like their dad.
    The hike out had a bit of gain, 1200-1300 feet and was easy at first via the Stiff Knee, but the last mile of it was devoid of pleasantries-very steep, eroding side trail and major HEAT and HUMIDITY. Far Gap never looked so good! Still wonderful experience yet another area and wonderful as always being with the hiking family.
    You know, it seems so much less traumatic when condensed to 8 minutes.

Great video. Thanks for the effort!

Also, a big THANKS to Sgt Rock for the STEAK on Saturday night!

I think I'll try to go back down Stiff Knee, do a little maintenance and maybe fish from there next time. Fishing IS doable if we skipped that one section.
    MM failed to mention that the top unmaintained section of Trail #42 is called "Nutbuster" and for good cause!

Great trip. That's what being out of cell phone range is all about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast