Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    I just got an email from Tom Claytor notifying me that my jungle hammock was shipped on Friday (well...he said it was shipped on Oct. 5 but he also said he was in Siberia so I'm not sure what date it is for him). In any event it should be here by mid-week.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i got wet,wind blew hard rain in on one end,the only thing that kept me from getting soaked to the bone with the stock claytor tarp was that the wind driven rain only lasted a few minutes,the same thing happened to my oldest son with the 9 x 9 neo tarp and his claytor jungle hammock,my youngest son was ok with his tarp in his shorter vietnam jungle hammock,its over 2 feet shorter neo
    Hey Neo and nogods, Darby and I spent 4 days in the SNP weekend before last. We had severe thunder storms with very heavy rains and high winds for 6 hours the first night. I was in my Claytor, with the stock tarp, and stayed bone dry. I also have the 9 x 9 "Neo" tarp but I think you can actually button up a little tighter with the stock tarp because it is diamond shaped and not square like the 9 x 9. I also have to agree with Neo, nothing gives you the protection of a 12 x 12, but being older than Neo, it's hard for me to justify the extra weight. My stock Claytor tarp weighs 16 oz. with all lines and a set of figure 9"s attached.

Images
    How do you "button it up" in the rain?

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    How do you "button it up" in the rain?
    By "button up" I mean you lower the tarp as low as possible without touching the hammock and pull the sides in as tight as possible without touching the hammock. This give you the best coverage for the size tarp you are using. The down side is you lose ventilation. The reason I say you can set up tighter with the stock tarp is because the side wings are shorter than the length of the tarp ( thus the diamond shape ) so the tarp can be set both lower and can be pulled in tighter on the sides than with a square tarp of the same length. Hope that makes sense.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smithobx View Post
    By "button up" I mean you lower the tarp as low as possible without touching the hammock and pull the sides in as tight as possible without touching the hammock. This give you the best coverage for the size tarp you are using. The down side is you lose ventilation. The reason I say you can set up tighter with the stock tarp is because the side wings are shorter than the length of the tarp ( thus the diamond shape ) so the tarp can be set both lower and can be pulled in tighter on the sides than with a square tarp of the same length. Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks for the info

I see your pic's of the Claytor on your weathersheild thread...I didn't want to muck up that thread w/ questions so here goes...

How do you like the Claytor? How flat can you lay in it? How big is the underpad area? (read: how bigga pad can you use?...lol...). How does the Claytor compare to the Clark?

Thanks

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Looks like they only have the 9x9 tarp available now.

its available 12 x 12 in white neo

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=254694

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ken999 View Post
    I see your pic's of the Claytor on your weathersheild thread...I didn't want to muck up that thread w/ questions so here goes...

How do you like the Claytor? How flat can you lay in it? How big is the underpad area? (read: how bigga pad can you use?...lol...). How does the Claytor compare to the Clark?

Thanks
    The Claytor is a lot roomier than the Clark - I'm 6'3 and 250 (lost some weight getting ready for upcoming trip) with broad shoulders. Thus, I'm more comfortable in the claytor because i have more sleep options, although I like the design of the Clark better.

I put a home made spe consisting of a 20" walmart pad with 10" wings attached to each side (just used duct tape over the edges, punched holes in the pad and wings, and tied them together.) I slipped it into the Claytor pad sleeve and it fit with no problem. I had to trim the edges of the wings because when I get in the hammock the pad bends causing the top part of the top wings to raise up at an angle an actually pushing them above the top edge of the hammock (the same was true for the Clark but because the pad was not in a sleve in the hammock I could just let it extend above the edge.)

I think once I add the weather shield the Claytor will be almost as functional as the Clark except for the storage compartments attached to the outside of the Clark and the either-side entry feature of the Clark. The Clark does seem sturdier but that may just be a mis-perception on my part.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    its available 12 x 12 in white neo

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=254694
    If you get the white one, is it still a ‘Neo’ tarp?

I broke down and got two of the 12 X 12’s when I ordered. I’m heading upstate for some archery hunting this week and have to choose between my Clark & my Claytor. I may be too lazy to set up both. I’ve yet to sleep out in cold weather so this is my big chance. I also have a nice cabin to run to if I want to chicken out!

6 ft.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

A friend of mine just bought the jungle hammock and we're still waiting for that because now he actually has a real hammock for camping and not his string... geez.

Anyone know how small you can pack the claytor? I know how big the picture of the hammock and such is on the website, but alike my HH, I can seperate the pieces (hammock, tarp, etc) and make a more efficent use of space.
    Last edited by aceatc; 11-15-2007 at 20:30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast