Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Just bought a Calytor Jungle

I just got my Clark NA Monday and spent the last three nights in it. Last night was perfect - I slept on my back and rolled over on both sides during the night - just like in my bed - and woke only once that I remembered. seems I figured out the best hang angle and sag.

But my son told me last night that he now wants a hammock - he goes to school in the Adirondacks, went hiking with some friends last weekend, and saw a few hammocks being used. He is only 5'11" and I'm 6'3" so I'm going to send him the Clark. I ordered a Claytor Jungle for myself - it appears to be longer and wider than the Clark, and it is a lot less expensive.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I just got my Clark NA Monday and spent the last three nights in it. Last night was perfect - I slept on my back and rolled over on both sides during the night - just like in my bed - and woke only once that I remembered. seems I figured out the best hang angle and sag.

But my son told me last night that he now wants a hammock - he goes to school in the Adirondacks, went hiking with some friends last weekend, and saw a few hammocks being used. He is only 5'11" and I'm 6'3" so I'm going to send him the Clark. I ordered a Claytor Jungle for myself - it appears to be longer and wider than the Clark, and it is a lot less expensive.

excellent choice my friend,i own 2 claytor jungle hammocks and my oldest son owns one to.i use a different tarp than the one that came with my hammock i use a 12 x 12 camo tarp found on link below.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247

i made spreader bar for netting out of alumnum camo arrow shaft.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...php?i=1711&c=4

my suspension system for quicker hanging

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...php?i=1710&c=4

a very stealthy comy set up

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i meant stealthy comfy set up. neo

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    excellent choice my friend,i own 2 claytor jungle hammocks and my oldest son owns one to.i use a different tarp than the one that came with my hammock i use a 12 x 12 camo tarp found on link below.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247
    Looks like they only have the 9x9 tarp available now.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images

Thanks Neo

Yes Neo - I've read most of your posts on this forum and they helped me settle on the Claytor Jungle. That and the pics of your hang at Claytor's site.

But I do like the Clark, if it were bigger I'd give my son the Claytor and keep the Clark for myself.

I did check for that tarp earlier and you can only buy the 9x9 now so I'll wait on that.

I have two questions for you -

1. can you tie up the net without a spreader? I have had no problems with the Clark netting or weathershield in my face like some others have stated, and it would be simplier to just tie the net with the center loops on the Claytor if possible, although if I was stuck in it for any period I can see how spreading it out might be advantageous.

2. Can I put a 48" pad (or two pieces of 24") in the pad holder? I made a homemade spe for the Clark and it fits really good (haven't had a chance to test it in cold weather yet - it's going to be 85 in Buffalo today and tomorrow!) - Oh, and how do you gain entry to the pad holder - at the end or side? Are there velcro closures?

Thanks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Yes Neo - I've read most of your posts on this forum and they helped me settle on the Claytor Jungle. That and the pics of your hang at Claytor's site.

But I do like the Clark, if it were bigger I'd give my son the Claytor and keep the Clark for myself.

I did check for that tarp earlier and you can only buy the 9x9 now so I'll wait on that.

I have two questions for you -

1. can you tie up the net without a spreader? I have had no problems with the Clark netting or weathershield in my face like some others have stated, and it would be simplier to just tie the net with the center loops on the Claytor if possible, although if I was stuck in it for any period I can see how spreading it out might be advantageous.

2. Can I put a 48" pad (or two pieces of 24") in the pad holder? I made a homemade spe for the Clark and it fits really good (haven't had a chance to test it in cold weather yet - it's going to be 85 in Buffalo today and tomorrow!) - Oh, and how do you gain entry to the pad holder - at the end or side? Are there velcro closures?

Thanks.
    the spreader bar is nice but you can live without it,here is a pic of mine with no spreader bar for netting

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11

on 48 in pad are you talking width or lenght,i would not use use any thing wider tha 28 to 30 inches myself neo

Images
    thanks again Neo.

As to the pad, I was thinking that a wide pad in the pocket - as wide as the pocket is - would insulate the sides as well as the bottom, so that my shoulders pressing against the sides would not get cold. I'm talking about use in temps of 40 and lower.

The homemade SPE for the Clark curls up around my shoulders and sides.

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    thanks again Neo.

As to the pad, I was thinking that a wide pad in the pocket - as wide as the pocket is - would insulate the sides as well as the bottom, so that my shoulders pressing against the sides would not get cold. I'm talking about use in temps of 40 and lower.

The homemade SPE for the Clark curls up around my shoulders and sides.
    i have used an army closed cell pad down to 8.6 degrees with nothing else below me in my claytor hammock neo

Images
    Neo - are you in the claytor hammock in those pictures? It looks real flat? and in one of them it looks like you a "snakeskin" on the rope next to the hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Neo - are you in the claytor hammock in those pictures? It looks real flat? and in one of them it looks like you a "snakeskin" on the rope next to the hammock.
    yep my hammock has over sized snake skins made by fellow hammock forums member headchange4u, neo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast