Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Nogods
    I also have a Claytor. I always have a spreader at the head end. I don't carry a bar with me but simply pick up a stick from the ground and break it to size. It doesn't have to be the exact length each time. I've done a lot of hanging this summer and have never been unable to find a suitable branch.

I also tried a 40" pad and it was way overkill. It also tends to bunch up. Through much experimentation I've conluded the 1/2" thick 24" waffle pad at Wally World with attached wings work the best. Why carry more when it's not really needed.
    My pad can be seen here. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560834203BtHMbJ There is a little note under each pic. The black strips are ripstop nylon and act as a simple hinge. I'm very happy with this sytem and the Claytor hammock in general.

Welcome to The Claytor Club!

Miguel

Images
    Migule:

Do you put the pad with wings in the pad sack or in the hammock?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I place it between the two bottom layers, or as you say....the "pad sack". That way when you move around you are moving against nylon not directly on the pad. If you put it in the hammock, everytime you move the pad will move with you due to the friction created by direct contact.

Feel free to fire away with any other concerns about the Claytor hammock. BTW...I see Neo uses the rings for suspension but I greatly prefer the cinch buckles as I believe they are much more secure. They are also just as easy to use.

Miguel

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    i have used an army closed cell pad down to 8.6 degrees with nothing else below me in my claytor hammock neo
    He forgot to mention the Antifreeze IV he took before going out that night
    I slept out that night and needed more bottom insulation than that for sure and I normally don't need as much as the other people I hike with. Try the pad at home before camping in those temps

A couple of my hiking buddies use the claytor and the pad pocket is great. I have seen them get into the 20's easily with a decent pad.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    He forgot to mention the Antifreeze IV he took before going out that night
    I slept out that night and needed more bottom insulation than that for sure and I normally don't need as much as the other people I hike with. Try the pad at home before camping in those temps

A couple of my hiking buddies use the claytor and the pad pocket is great. I have seen them get into the 20's easily with a decent pad.
    i will not need a pad with hillary neo

Images

tarp for claytor jungle

Seems that everyone who has a Claytor jungle advises replacing the tarp with the "Neo" gear guide 12 x 12 - unfortunately, they are no longer available. Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative tarp that won't cost me more than the hammock?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Seems that everyone who has a Claytor jungle advises replacing the tarp with the "Neo" gear guide 12 x 12 - unfortunately, they are no longer available. Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative tarp that won't cost me more than the hammock?
    I've been in some torrential rains with my stock Claytor tarp and have stayed completely dry. If need be you can stake it down directly with the loops attached to the tarp. It's 13' long at it's longest point...plenty long enough IMHO. I'd try it a few times before running out and spending money on something you may not really need.

Miguel

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    the 9 x 9 will work but a driving rain on the end got my hammock wet
    if you sew and curtains on each end like jrb that would work neo

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I've been in some torrential rains with my stock Claytor tarp and have stayed completely dry. If need be you can stake it down directly with the loops attached to the tarp. It's 13' long at it's longest point...plenty long enough IMHO. I'd try it a few times before running out and spending money on something you may not really need.

Miguel

i got wet,wind blew hard rain in on one end,the only thing that kept me from getting soaked to the bone with the stock claytor tarp was that the wind driven rain only lasted a few minutes,the same thing happened to my oldest son with the 9 x 9 neo tarp and his claytor jungle hammock,my youngest son was ok with his tarp in his shorter vietnam jungle hammock,its over 2 feet shorter neo

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I personally think you can bring the 9x9 lower and tighter to the hammock than the 12x12. The 12x12 has to be spread fairly wide to bring close to the hammock and trees have to be further apart. If I know it is going to rain I look for big trees fairly close together to let nature help block some of the wing/rain. You have lots of friends when it is raining with the 12x12 though

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast