Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images

Got Mine (Long!) =o)

I got my Claytor Jungle today. I'll be passing my Clark on to my wife, who's a much better fit for it.

So I took the Jungle out to a local park to give it a once over and a lie down. Good thing it was bloody cold out or I would likely still be in the park...

Laying it out on the floor it was obvious that the design is incredibly simple. The hammock body, second layer, and netting are all rectangles sewn together on three edges (with a thin webbing to act as reinforcement), the second layer open on the fourth side and the netting with its full-length zipper. The support straps go through a simple tube which is reinforced at the ends. It certainly looks like something one could throw together at home fairly easily, and now that I have it to examine I will, if (or when) I do some DIY hammocks, base my designs on this one.

Tom Claytor recommends tying the hammock supports by making a bowline loop in one end, wrapping the strap around the tree, bringing it back through the loop, and tying a couple half hitches to hold the line in place. I went with a ring buckle concept, using a bowline to attach the rings to one end of the webbing, wrapping the webbing once around the tree (because I wanted to see if it would slip or damage the bark) and then through the ring buckle. This worked very well while I was in the hammock. Of course, it would slip down the tree without weight in place to tighten the straps against the tree.

I tried lying in the center, off center (to both sides), and on my side. All positions were comfortable but I think that, once I've found the perfect amount of sag, slightly off center will work best for the best shoulder room. I thought it was interesting that, while the Clark tauts their canoe shape for providing a no-tip design, the Claytor seems to accomplish this with simple rectangles of material.

I'll definitely go with Neo's method of using arrow shafts to spread the bug netting overhead. It hangs very poorly without something such as this in place. I'm concerned that the bungy cord on the bug netting is flimsy and may not last. Assuming it doesn't add any significant amount of weight I'll probably replace that with something more sturdy.

The zipper was easy to use while inside the hammock and seems very sturdy. The mesh pocket is sufficient for small essentials such as lip balm and a Photon light. I have to say I miss the Clark's gear pockets. It was very nice to be able to keep all that stuff within arm's reach. I guess I'll have to get some sil and make a gear hammock...

I'm not certain of the quality of the webbing straps. Also, they're only 1/2" wide. I'll probably replace them with Speers webbing and make a carabiner/ring buckle system (but that Air Core is $40 a pop!!!). For now, though, I'd like to see how these straps hold up.

The tarp ropes are, of course, medium - low quality. Everyone replaces these in every hammock though, right? Anyway, they'd do in a pinch but I don't see them lasting as long as the rest of the hammock.

As has been noted before, the tarp is ripstop but not sil, hence the weight. I'd like to get a sil cat cut tarp in camo to cut some of the weight of this 3lbs 11oz package.

Overall I'm quite pleased. The Jungle seems like a great deal at $130 shipped, and I only had to wait two weeks to receive it from Thailand.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

Manach, thank you for your report.

I just ordered my Jungle today and paid the extra bucks to get it quick. You have answered most of my questions already. Do you think we can find Mac Cat Tarps in camo? I just bought a Speers Winter Tarp so I may have to sell it for a camo if I can find a light one and a large one. The Mac Cat Deluxe is only 10 feet 10 inches long on the ridgeline, the Jungle is 10 feet long, less what the sag takes up so it will be close. The Speer Winter is only 11 feet.
    Congrats on your new toy. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Brian will make custom MacCats of whatever ridgeline length you want...just email him and ask. No camo silnylon, though...none that I've ever seen, anyway.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    thanks, who is Brian? Mule

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Brian is the owner of Outdoor Equipment Supplier. He makes MacCats. One man company.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Just passing by in the forums, but that would be me . PM or email me if you have any questions on a tarp.

Brian
    OES

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Brian is the owner of Outdoor Equipment Supplier. He makes MacCats. One man company.
    Thanks, Mule

My friend ordered this jungle hammock and he's been waiting for almost 3 weeks now... Well, I'm glad you got yours fast

I noticed the straps were nylon and only 1/2 inch after my friend ordered this hammock and I just cringed. Now sure how long the webbing will last, but we'll see I guess.

Is the webbing connected to the hammock or just like slide in through a channel?

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    I think you will enjoy your Claytor, I've had mine about a year and have not seen anything I like better. I attached a coulple of thumbnails to show how I rigged mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smithobx View Post
    I think you will enjoy your Claytor, I've had mine about a year and have not seen anything I like better. I attached a coulple of thumbnails to show how I rigged mine.
    That looks nice. I expect to get mine by Thursday according to Tom. Is that the stock tarp? How heavy is it? Also, where do you guys find the ring for your ring buckles? Mule

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast