Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I would think that if you had an open HH (think side entry or 2Q & ZQ mod) you could attach the tarp to the hammock using trekingnut's ridge line idea and to compensate for the loose flaps that occur when the hammock is occupied, simply reach out to adjust the left tarp tie out and rig a similar adjustment for the right tarp tie out that can be managed while in the hammock. Just make sure every thing is shock cord.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    sorry ive been away for so long.

putting the ridgeline in like i demonstrated means that when you get into the hammock, the tarp stays at the height you set it at. as the hammock chord dips, the prussik knots are still in the same place so the tarp doesnt sink. then with the elastic of the hammock sides attached to the rings on the tarp, as you get lower in the hammock, it pulls the sides in tighter and there is no flapping around at all!

I thought that might be the case but i haven't had a chance to try it out. i sent my hammock back for an exchange for a larger model. When i receive the new HH I'll set up the ridge line. I like your videos. Rigging a hammock need not be complicated and the Hennessy system seems well thought out. The stock tarp was perfectly adequate. During my brief foray I had it tied to a tree.

I had some shock cord that I had removed from some piece of camping gear, and I made it into prusicks. I replaced the original Hennessey prusicks with these. They were about thicker than the original prusick cord, almost as thick as my whoopie slings.
    I stretched them out when hanging the tarp.
    When I lay in the hammock, the elastic keeps the tarp from sagging.
    I've since given the rig to my son, but will probably make up another pair for myself.
    P.S. They don't make a very pretty prusick when there's no tension, they loosen up and look like a tangle of line. Once they have tension, they grip fine and look like "regulation" prusick knot.
    Last edited by madizazzo; 08-28-2010 at 14:04. Reason: spelling

I've had good luck with the HH funnel tensioners in a storm, but have to admit that I generally find them too much of a PITA to bother with. I did NOT follow Tom's directions to break the clips on the fly - it's just a little harder to get the funnels off with the unbroken clips.

I've used mine almost like a tent outside of my hammock (provided how close to the ground I'm sleeping.) Threading it around some stakes works best for me.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Hmm

I have tried this both ways now.

I see the pros and cons and from where I stand (hang) I think I'm going to stick with no secondary ridgeline (i.e. just clip to existing hammock line).

I know I get sag that way, but I haven't had that cause me any problems in the way of water collection or line failure. And in our Summer climate it's cool when it rains and hot when it doesn't, so if I want ventilation I'll likely just have the tarp off. Also, when I did have a secondary line I found it was just another cord waiting to be tangled.

So for my money, I'll put up with sag, drop a few grams, and keep the setup and takedown easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    When you attach the Hennessy tarp to the hammock suspension line it sags when you get in the hammock. Probably the reason most don't use that approach (including Tom Hennessy).

Personally, I like the concept and would like to find a way to prevent the sag.
    I ran 550 cord from one end-ring to the other with a tent stake knot(adjustible). Basicly a second ridge line

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_n View Post
    Except you can't buy it in the UK :-(
    you can buy the hexfly in the uk... but only the 70d version...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post
    No one watches my videos after all.....
    For the record I have watched your videos a bunch. They were a lot of help. In fact, your suspension system was such a good idea I recently bought two carabiners and rap rings. Thanks man!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast