Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing

HH rainfly questions

A couple random questions for HH rainflies:
    1. On their website, I noticed 2 options for hanging the rainfly. One was to clip it to the hammock, and the other was to use a separate piece of string and hang it independently of the hammock. What do you guys do?

2. I'm new to the hammock thing... it seems that the hexagon shaped rainflies might be more my style. What tarps do you recommend?

Thanks,
    Globetruck

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    1. Most use the later method. In my experience, tying your tarp lines a couple of inches below the suspension on the trees helps combat the weather a bit better. HOWEVER, there is at least one person (BillyBob58, I think) that mastered the Hennessy method of tarp attachment and reported positive results. Must be an art form.

2. Loaded question, not touching it.
    Most any of the hex tarps you'll find around here are beyond great quality. You'll be hard pressed to make a bad choice.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    When you attach the Hennessy tarp to the hammock suspension line it sags when you get in the hammock. Probably the reason most don't use that approach (including Tom Hennessy).

Personally, I like the concept and would like to find a way to prevent the sag.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    When you attach the Hennessy tarp to the hammock suspension line it sags when you get in the hammock. Probably the reason most don't use that approach (including Tom Hennessy).

Personally, I like the concept and would like to find a way to prevent the sag.
    Knotty,
    I've hung my HH tarps both ways. Just thought of something - could you rig a second pair of prussics outboard of the HH tarp attachment ones and .... wait; wouldn't work. I was going to say use shock cord for the second pair of prussics that would attach to the hammock ridgeline attachments but that would only pull laterally and the problem is that the hammock sags vertically when loaded. Darn!

Maybe buy some fairy dust?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    1. Most use the later method. In my experience, tying your tarp lines a couple of inches below the suspension on the trees helps combat the weather a bit better. HOWEVER, there is at least one person (BillyBob58, I think) that mastered the Hennessy method of tarp attachment and reported positive results. Must be an art form.
    More like a royal PITA than an art form! As I have so oft said, IMO, you can make things much better with a few tricks, but you will never match the tarp tightness of attaching to the trees. But if you are going to use that super light and small HH stock tarp, The rain is blocked better by connecting to the hammock. Even if it will be way more noise in the wind. So just choose your poison I guess.

I mostly just use a larger tarp and tie to the trees.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    No one watches my videos after all.....

in my hh 101 (video section or YouTube) I attach a length of paracord between the two o rings on the tarp and use a prussik knot to make that length tight. That means you can hang it in the normal standard method but it gives the effect of hanging with two ridge lines. When I get in the hammock it obviously sinks a little but the tarp stays in place because it isn't resting on the hug net, it's usually about nine inches or so above the hammock itself.

With the prussik knot on the paracord you have abit of freedom with it's height.

During bad weather this helps as well because when you peg the tarp down at more of an angle, there is still a gap along the top for ventilation!

I'll repost my video just in case:

Last edited by trekkingnut; 07-21-2010 at 02:50. Reason: spelling

Images
    When you use the two ridgeline approach, it seems like you need to use the shock cord on the hammock pullouts tied back to the side pullouts for the tarp as well.

I have seen HHs tied that way where you tied the hammock pullouts to a ground stake with very stretchy shock cord and then ran that same shock cord back to the side pullout of the tarp and tied off there. As I recall the early racer models simply attached the hammock pullouts to the side pullouts of the tarp and then the stake.

Those are light weight ways to do it but you trade off flexiblity in how you can use the tarp. To each his own, so to speak.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    When you use the two ridgeline approach, it seems like you need to use the shock cord on the hammock pullouts tied back to the side pullouts for the tarp as well.

I have seen HHs tied that way where you tied the hammock pullouts to a ground stake with very stretchy shock cord and then ran that same shock cord back to the side pullout of the tarp and tied off there. As I recall the early racer models simply attached the hammock pullouts to the side pullouts of the tarp and then the stake.

Those are light weight ways to do it but you trade off flexiblity in how you can use the tarp. To each his own, so to speak.
    confused....

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU

My Setup

I use the HH 70D Hex rainfly and tie it to the tree. During summer months I can tie it higher and allow for airflow and during the winter (I live in Oregon so it's the 7 months of Rain) I tie it a few inches lower than the hammock.

I HIGHLY recommend the Hex fly for the huge area it gives you in rainy weather for cooking and the like.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Tarp
    Factory original
    Insulation
    Roll Mat
    Suspension
    Factory Original
    Images
    Except you can't buy it in the UK :-(

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast