WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly

Hammock hanging near hawksbill in Linville Gorge

My brother and I are going up week end after next on Friday afternoon. He is really big into nature and landscape photography and we want to camp as close as possible to Hawksbill Summit so that we can get up and take some early morning shots from the summit. I was thinking we would park at the Hawksbill trail head Friday and head in a bit but I was wondering if there are good areas sutible for hanging along that trail as the pictures I have see does not look like there are any on top. Any information is greatly appreciated on this or anything else to do with the trail etc...

I posted this on the linvillegorge.net sit as well but I figured since the Gorge was a popular destination around here, I could probably get som good info here too
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not too many. Hickery, Stormcrow and I made a spot on the last stretch going up towards the top........ be looking to your left .... you will see an opening.
    nothing on top though.
    Less than a mile up fromthe trail head .6 miles.
    You are going to love it!!!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    What Shug said ...

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Thanks Shug. I could kinda tell that there was nothing on top. I just Want to get as close as we can because that trail looks kind of rocky going up and I'm hoping we can get some really good morning shots of the gorge when the lighting is good. I remember seeing someting in your LG videos about the area I think.
    Maybe we'll even have some potted beef as an ode to you. Not likely though. Think we are gouing to head to Famous Louise Restuaraunt for breakfast before taking some trail down to the river for a night. Haven't figured out which one yet.... Any sugesstions?

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Conley Cove and Spence Ridge are good and easy trails and lead to good places.
    I always liked Babel Tower Tail.
    Pinchin if you want a challenge .....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinasbackpacker View Post
    My brother and I are going up week end after next on Friday afternoon. He is really big into nature and landscape photography and we want to camp as close as possible to Hawksbill Summit so that we can get up and take some early morning shots from the summit. I was thinking we would park at the Hawksbill trail head Friday and head in a bit but I was wondering if there are good areas sutible for hanging along that trail as the pictures I have see does not look like there are any on top. Any information is greatly appreciated on this or anything else to do with the trail etc...

I posted this on the linvillegorge.net sit as well but I figured since the Gorge was a popular destination around here, I could probably get som good info here too
    It sure offers some great views. Keep in mind that the sun will be behind you for those early morning shots, if that makes any difference to your brother. The sunlight will gradually light up the ridge on the opposite side. You will either have to use a graduated neutral density filter or take several bracketed exposures to hold it all together, most likely.

This is the kind of lighting you will see as the sun rises:

http://www.kincaidphoto.com/gallery/...?g2_itemId=952

Here is the Hawksbill view at sunset. This is a friend of mine who also shoots a 4x5 wooden view camera. She's tough to haul that up the Hawksbill trail.

http://www.kincaidphoto.com/gallery/...?g2_itemId=266

I think the low angle lighting on this shot gives the place a completely different look:

http://www.kincaidphoto.com/gallery/...?g2_itemId=910

Lori's work is regularly featured in Our State magazine. She's had many front page covers. A very talented lady. I took her out in a kayak on Landsford Canal when the spider lilies were blooming, and I'll be darned if one of her shots didn't end up in the Sierra calendar. I keep hoping some of her talent will rub off on me.

I just ordered probably my last two boxes of 4x5 film It's $70 for 20 shots and costs several dollars per sheet to get processed. If drum scanned, add another $50 per scan. It's just too expensive, but it sure makes me sad. I love working with the old field camera. No batteries, all mechanical. But being under the dark cloth this time of year is HOT and sweaty business.

Anyway, hope these shots help your brother with his planning. Also, pretty close to the top, there is a rock arrow on the ground indicating where the trail makes a hard left. If you went straight ahead, there may be some trees in a little clearing there that might work. I wasn't scouting for a camp site, so I didn't pay close attention, but do remember that it opens up a little there. I did find one spot up top that you might be able to make work, but it would be really tight on smallish trees, and to be honest with you, I don't think you would like the temps and constant wind. I imagine you'd get cold, hard as that is to believe this time of year.

Salty

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    One more pic of the Gorge from Hawksbill:
    http://www.kincaidphoto.com/gallery/...?g2_itemId=904

Here are a few snapshots I took of my kids on a recent trip there. Not landscape photography, but it might offer a preview of some of the views he'll be working with.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18524

Hope it helps a little.

Salty
    Last edited by Salty; 07-21-2010 at 12:24. Reason: Added URL

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Salty thanks for the info Squatty is the photographer of the family. I go for the outdoors although I am planning on doing some video journals for all my trips from now on thanks to Shug.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm looking forward to watching them. I hope yall have a great time.

Salty

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinasbackpacker View Post
    Salty thanks for the info Squatty is the photographer of the family. I go for the outdoors although I am planning on doing some video journals for all my trips from now on thanks to Shug.
    That's great ... hope you share them with us!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast