Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps

Hang low.....

I recently made a change to HH. I changed the suspension system to webing and cinch buckles (thanks Angrysparrow for all the help). I LOVE how fast this allows me to set up, but it really stretches out the webbing and I start to really hang low. Now, I am a big guy but I got webbing rated at 3500 pounds.

I have a theory that I want to bounce off you guys. I put my hammock between two trees about 15 feet apart. This is much wider then I have ever done before because I really wanted to see how much I could span. I wonder if this large distance increased the sag? Would it be more normal if I reduced that distance to my more normal 9 foot?

Really look forward to your thoughts on what I did wrong.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Is your webbing nylon, polypro, or polyester? I know that nylon has a lot of stretch to it, but would be quite surprised to hear of polyester stretching nearly that amount.

How many hangs do you have in your HH? Are you sure that the sag you're getting isn't the initial stretch from the hammock body itself? It does take a few hangs to get the hammock body of a HH 'broken in'.

I have used trees up to 20' apart before, with only minimal issues. YMMV
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    As allways you seem to step up to help. Thanks, I have hung in this a few times only.

The webbing is nylon, I ordered it from OnRope1 because it helped me get to the minimum order level. I guess you saying that is my issue mate?

Images
    Although I don't have the experience of some of the folks here I would consider 15' to be pretty close together... I have hung (not an HH) between trees up to 25' apart without any significant difficulty. I do have to attach somewhat higher and put a bit more pre-tension on it before I get in.

Finally how high are you putting things before you get in? This makes a difference as you get farther apart.

Nylon will stretch more, especially as it gets damp/wet.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Yeah, likely it is a combination of nylon webbing and initial stretch. The initial stretch will go away, but the nylon webbing will always stretch, more so on long distances.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Go with polyester webbing. Much less stretch than nylon and polypro in my experience.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I think that the more webbing has between trees does increase sag, but probably not much more than a couple inches.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My theory is that perhaps you're putting more strap into play that hasn't been stretched yet.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    When I hang this I am putting the hammock at eye level, and it sags to the ground.

Images
    The amount of stretch is related directly to how long the lines or webbing is from the tree to the hammock. (You can see this by stretching shock cord, the longer the piece the easier it is to stretch and the farther it will stretch.) Everything behaves elastically to some extent.. The difference is in how far it stretches and how much force it takes to stretch it. Nylon webbing is like really stiff elastic bands...

Also a longer distance means more vertical drop for a given suspension hang angle. Its linear and proprotional. That is, a given suspension hang angle will drop twice as far if the trees are 30' apart as compared to trees 15' apart... so 9' to 15' is a change of 1.67 times so the vertical drop would be the same 1.67 times for a given angle on the suspension lines.

Lorethian, when you say eye height I'm assuming you mean the tree ties are at eye height, and not the hammock body. I can't see how it would be possible to get into a hammock body that was at eye height at least without a ladder or something...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast