Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Tent rain fly over hammock

Anybody ever tried to use their tent rain fly instead of a purpose made tarp?

I was looking at tarps and somewhat dismayed by the price when I glanced over at the tents and realized that the rain fly on the tents is essentially the same thing. I have a four person tent, and I started to wonder, can't I just tie two corners of its rain fly from tree to tree and stake the other two corners?

Am I overlooking something? I might give this a try later, unfortunately I don't have any good trees in my backyard to experiment with, so I'm playing with my indoor hooks in my office, but they're not a good test... most of my focus there is my makeshift UQ using a cheap sleeping bag, which isn't going very well so far...

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Great way to use what you already have. The only downfall I could see would be (A) tent rainflys are usually the heaviest part of any tent (though it's been a long time since I've slept in one) (B) you would need some sorta ridgeline to suspend the rainfly above the hammock for ventalation, although tying off could potentially work. I just think it'll be cumbersome but I could be wrong. but if you are willing to deal with any slight penalties such as that I'd say hang conventional thinking and use what you have at your disposal. Besides, doesn't it only serve to cover your hammock? As long as it does that, who cares. Way to use your noggin'!
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gRaFFiX View Post
    (A) tent rainflys are usually the heaviest part of any tent (though it's been a long time since I've slept in one)
    I'm not too worried about that. The whole setup will still be lighter than my tent setup (even my small tent), and it's still lighter than a cheap tarp.

(B) you would need some sorta ridgeline to suspend the rainfly above the hammock for ventalation,
    Yeah... I'm leaning towards a ridgeline anyhow. I already have one for my bugnet, but that one is much lighter... I'm considering a higher and tighter line for my makeshift UQ and the rainfly (if it's even needed -- I prefer to see the stars if there's no rain). I think it could do double duty OK.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    In my experience, tent flys are often shaped in ways that would be awkward on a hammock. But if you have a test stand in the back yard or are willing to take some test trips you can always try it out. There are also other alternatives to the hugh priced tarps, but you do pay some penalty in either weight or durability. A thick painters drop cloth can be used. There are the blue or brown tarps from the big box stores. I know some folks use their poncho, which they carry with them anyway. All you need is something to keep the rain off.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    I considered the shape concern, but I think mine is fairly flat and rectangular. I'll pull it out tonight and look... Worth a try!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Many tent flies are PU coated - heavy. The ones that are not, tend to be on more expensive models of tent. I would sell the tent and buy a tarp. Using a fly as a tarp over a hammock means you will have many seams plus a zipper under tension - the fly is meant to be clipped to poles and set up on the ground, not pulled out like a tarp. Those seams and zipper can turn into weak points when configured under different lines of tension.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Many tent flies are PU coated - heavy. The ones that are not, tend to be on more expensive models of tent. I would sell the tent and buy a tarp. Using a fly as a tarp over a hammock means you will have many seams plus a zipper under tension - the fly is meant to be clipped to poles and set up on the ground, not pulled out like a tarp. Those seams and zipper can turn into weak points when configured under different lines of tension.
    Zipper? Neither of my tents have zippers on their rain flys... the one I have is designed to put under tension, though with a pole in the center, similar to this:

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    Zipper? Neither of my tents have zippers on their rain flys... the one I have is designed to put under tension, though with a pole in the center, similar to this:

My brother in law has a similar tent and IIRC when I helped him set it up the fly was pretty flat so I can see it being fairly effective. The shape is even similar to cat cuts. Let us know how it works.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you hang it diagonally you may be ablwe to get away with it as is. But a square hang you would likely need to add some tie outs to the sides for ridgeline tie outs.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    ...But if you...are willing to take some test trips you can always try it out...
    Reason enough! Lets go!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast