Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Claytor tarp

UQ w/ thermadrape questions

Hey guys, my tarp/hammock supplies are on order so I've been researching making a UQ. I'm mostly a summer camper with some fall trips thrown in.

Every year I make a trip to the Boundary Waters in September and hope to be hanging this year instead of sleeping in the tent. Historically temps in the BW in mid September are 75 daytime down to 40 or so at night with a few 30 degree nights/days to make it interesting. We base camp so weight isn't a huge factor. My normal sleeping gear is inside a tent- 6' piece of makeshift vapor barrier (used for coolers, it is 2 pieces of silver material with bubble wrap in between), 1" thermarest blow up pad and a 40 degree bag. I've never gotten cold since I started using the vapor barrier material under the thermarest.

Now that I want to hang I thought I would try to make a removable UQ. I have a poncho liner that I could use and I have a friend bringing me 2 of the Thermadrapes that I can incorporate into the UQ. Would cutting the poncho liner and sandwiching the 2 Thermadrapes into it be enough UQ down to 40 degrees? Which way should I point the silver on the thermadrapes for best results? I was thinking that I could exchange one side of the poncho liner with an old sleeping bag if needed.

I can add the Thermarest and a piece of the vapor barrier into my hammock (have designs on a double layer), think I'll need all that? At what point does all of this become redundant?

What is the best way to make the UQ removable? I was thinking of using shock cord with hooks but I'm honestly at a loss at what to attach the hooks to?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help, Ted

Forgot to ad-Thanks Headchange4u for the thermadrape idea.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl w/DIY Risk style bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    1st up welcome fellow Kentuckian
    Can't be much help with fabrication ideas but....
    We went to BWCA in mid June. Lowest temp as recorded in Ely, nearest town I could find history on after trip, was 44. I used a DIY gathered end hammock, a single layer w/torso heater Insultex Underquilt from Mac, a 40 deg mummy bag inside the hammock, and on the coldest night slept in mid weight long-johns and a tee shirt. Hope this is helpful.
    PS Saganaga Lake was down 3 feet due to lack of adequate snowfall this past winter. Smaller lakes with inlet and outlet flows were normal.
    The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why?
    Those gentle voices I hear, explain it all with a sigh.
    "Tuesday Afternoon" Moody Blues

Even duct-tape can't fix stupid.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Claytor tarp
    Hey exdiver.

Where did you go in June? We put in at EP 52 and normally camp in 2nd or 3rd bay on Saganaga. From there we day trip to Ottertrack, Ashdick, Ester, ect. Can't wait to get back. We base camp as our main goals are fishing and relaxing in that order.

Thanks for the update on big Sag, I hadn't heard that. Few of the lakes we go to have flow so most of them will be low I would imagine. Only good thing about low water is the lack of swampy portages!

I have a feeling it is going to be warm this year but want to be prepared. I've canoed in shorts and no shirt and then up to 1" of snow on the ground the next morning. And people say the weather in Kentucky is unpredicatable...

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    It's only redundant IF you are too warm at night and HAVE TO remove a piece of insulation
    hahahaha
    I would bring em both as it doesn't seem to be a problem trekking this stuff around.
    I'll bet that the bubble and thermarest will keep you warm and NO CBS (cold butt syndrome)

Double layer is where I want to get so I can easily have insulation...via IX = INSULTEX...but that's another story

I love the appellation NoNamesLeft....
    hahahaha

PS I don't see the need for poncho..but can't have too much till we get experienced.
    Thermadrape ???
    I'd have from top....
    Thermadrape->thermarest-> reflective side up insulation

PONCHO? -> thermadrape -> thermarest-> reflective up....

If I remember and I am just speaking to see how correct I am with all this....
    Other More experienced will let us know....
    Thermadrape reflects heat back to body AND builds up[ heat from the body....Thermarest is a dead air space thus insulating...reflective up is a vapor barrier AND reflects heat up to the absorptive layers above it....

That's my input for this GOOD concern...
    YOU DON"T want to be COLD
    BWelcome
    Tom
    Last edited by TOB9595; 07-23-2010 at 15:15.

• + New Posts