Thread: Fell on my a**

Fell on my a**

Unable to wait until my day off to try out my new HH I decided to try it out in the back yard. I had built a playground out back for my son a few years ago and without going into details, I tied one end of the hammock to his wooden swingset and the other end was tied to a stand-alone 4x4 wooden fence post. Well, my 6 yr old was dying to try it out so I let him in first and he loved it (and now wants one of his own!) and then he wanted daddy to try it. So, I slid the huggers up a little higher because of the sag, went in through the bottom, sat down, and immediately fell victim to the laws of physics and ended up on my back with the 4x4 post laying on top of me! I layed there for a minute trying to contain my laughter, lifted the post off of me and crawled out thankful that the only witness to this was me and my son!

While it was a "fun" experience I think I'll wait until my day off this Friday and head out to the woods and find some nice sturdy trees!

Images
    That's funny I think everyone has one of those stories.

My HH has a patch on the bottom from the first time I hung it. I streched to the ground and didn't notice. It wore a hole under my butt.

Last week I was testing out my homemade Speer for the first time. Let me just say that you need to hem the sides of nylon before you use it. It riped and I was sitting on the ground before I knew it.

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    That's hilarious! In typical Type "A" style....I've read so much about this happening, I always hang my hammock so high at first that I have to get on my tippy toes to get in the first time. This, however, has worked out really well, because once it settles, it's the perfect height and I've never ended up w/my butt on the ground. Any pics?
    This is my signature.

Pics?? It's embarrasing enough just writing about it!

Although, I'm pretty certain I could've taken 2nd place on America's Funniest Home Videos!

You know you have friends when they stop to take pictures before helping you up - a pic from 2002 TT hike at Old Orchard:
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...34183661BMMvgK
    I had tied to a forked tree near the shelter and had not noticed that the tree had been used for breaking firewood so the inside of the fork was dead wood.

It wasn't the last time however - in the Sipsey last year I tied off to a 5 inch magnolia that was OK until the rain and wind got to going - moral of that story is if you are on sandy soil increase your minimum for the diameter of the tree. Fortunately that time there was no one around to take the picture and even more fortunately I was not hurt - a chair I had lugged in was however terminated by the tree. Btw it really sucks to have to crawl out from under a tree at night in heavy rain and then rehang the hammock in a different spot.
    Last edited by jlb2012; 11-08-2006 at 12:49.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's a great pic, HOI.

I remember hearing about someone who was killed recently when the tree they had tied their hammock to fell on them. That's why I am picky with the trees I tie to.

Glad nothing was hurt but your pride, Hammerhead!

The funny thing is that when I fell, I got the feeling as if I was trying to ride a little kids bike or something that was way to small for me. Live and learn, right?

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Unable to wait until my day off to try out my new HH I decided to try it out in the back yard. I had built a playground out back for my son a few years ago and without going into details, I tied one end of the hammock to his wooden swingset and the other end was tied to a stand-alone 4x4 wooden fence post. Well, my 6 yr old was dying to try it out so I let him in first and he loved it (and now wants one of his own!) and then he wanted daddy to try it. So, I slid the huggers up a little higher because of the sag, went in through the bottom, sat down, and immediately fell victim to the laws of physics and ended up on my back with the 4x4 post laying on top of me! I layed there for a minute trying to contain my laughter, lifted the post off of me and crawled out thankful that the only witness to this was me and my son!

While it was a "fun" experience I think I'll wait until my day off this Friday and head out to the woods and find some nice sturdy trees!

i am glad you are ok,my boys both are hammock hanger,logan use,s a scout hennessey hammock with a 9x9 cammo giude gear tarp,hank uses a tom claytor jungle hammock with a guide gear 9x9 cammo tarp neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=11

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...p?i=13&catid=2
    Last edited by neo; 11-08-2006 at 18:52.

• + New Posts