Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images

Blackbishop Help - Engineers Needed

I was inspired by another thread (go figure ) so I made myself a nice Blackbishop Bag with a grommet on one end.

I love the idea of stuffing hammock, UQ and TQ into one bag but I can't for the life of me figure out an easy way to do it! I unhook the end with the hole and start stuffing towards the still strapped end... I'm awkwardly able to stuff it all, but the effort (sweat literally) is almost not worth it.

So I was wondering, could a light pulley system be devised that helps feed all parts into the Blackbishop?

That's where I'm a little stumped. Has anyone tried this? Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Don't know about a pulley system but I agree it can be hard to get the gear in the BBBag without getting some of it on the ground. If you start from the bag end (like you do), try backing up as you stuff while holding the still hanging part under one arm.

I look forward to hearing other's methods.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    I would think unstrap the strap from the tree that comes out of the grommet first, then stuff the hammock and move up towards the other strap thats still connected to the tree???

What about making a small 'cup' of fabric with line attached to it that you could pull on to help get it into the bag. Run the lines back through the bag with the fabric cup at the far end of you hammock and tarp. Roll the hammock and tarp a little (like for snake skins) and then pull the lines to help mash it into the stuff sack. I hope I was able to explain that clearly. I've not tried it myself, just a thoughtbI had. Good luck.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Just a thought -- never tried it myself.

Take a length of light mason's line tied off at one end of the hammock and loosely furl everything together by spiraling the line towards the opposite end of the hammock. Tie it off with a slippery knot. Do this before you start loading it into the BB.

My thought being that that way you're only dealing with one piece (the hammock and quilts are now furled together) instead of trying to essentially stuff 3 separate pieces into the BB.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make the bag a little bigger and it'll be easier to stuff. That's my solution, anyway.

Or maybe try starting at the head end (if the bag is on the foot end), and roll the hammock until you get close to the bag. Sometimes I do it that way and it makes the stuffing easier.

But I've never sweated while stuffing it in the bag.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    I unhook from the bag end and stuff everything to the still hooked tree. When I reach the still attached end everything is pretty much packed in my bag. I simply unhook and drop both ends into the top of the bag.

I do make my BBBag a little bit larger, and I attach it through the foot end of the hammock to store "stuff" when I am sleeping.
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ/Golite TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Webbing
    Not sure if this was mention but I unhook my suspension from the tree on the bag end then hook the suspension line (fully shortened whoopie w/ biner) to a pocket, belt, etc. that way I don't have to hold the bag per se and can stuff it better. Never done a full setup but it gets and eno double into that tiny little bag a lot easier than when it was in the middle.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    I think your bag is too small.
    Compression sacks came to be because we wanted to stuff a LOFTy thing into a bag.. It starts with a larger bag and then you cinch down, thus compressing the LOFTy materia and resulting wwith a smaller bag without the expenditure of work to compress the quilt.l.

So thionk of a bigger bag and then you can compress the quilt DOWN into the bag and end up with a smaller bag than when you started.

You shouldn't be sweating unless you're outside in this heat and doing this...you crazy hammocking fool, you!

Tom

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Thanks for the posts. My current sack is about 21x15.... but I agree a bigger bishop would solve my issues. They don't seem to come any larger at our local outdoor stores and unfortunately I don't sew.... thus .....

Anyone interested in sewing an XXL silnylon sack? Maybe 28x24 or close? I have the grommets so I'd just need the silnylon sack with cinch. I'd be happy to pay for it - $20 or so via paypal?

PM me ...... I'd just need it by 7/29 for my next trip.

Update: Brian at OES was gracious enough to make me a XXL type bag. Thanks to those who offered to help!
    Last edited by StumpJumper; 07-25-2010 at 16:34.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast