WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing

WBBB vs HH Deep Jungle Zip XL

OK, I know that they're both good hammocks! But please help me decide.

HH deep Jungle Zip XL
    + package deal with everything included
    + longer size, new side entry zipper makes it easier to enter and usable as a chair.
    ? no footbox like the WBBB... not sure if there's plenty of leg room or not?
    + Snake skins seem pretty useful
    - Included tarp is somewhat heavy and small. I honestly plan on upgrading to a MacCat Deluxe. Fortunately, I can order it without any tarp and save a few dollars.
    - I think I'll replace the standard rope suspension with a webbing one, which will take some time and money

WBBB
    + popular design, good construction
    + footbox seems like a smart design
    + easy to specify what type of suspension - I'd go with the webbing for simplicity.
    ? not sure if I should go with the 1.1 Double or 1.7 Double (almost 6'2" and about 190 lbs)
    ? The shelf seems to be a love-hate thing depending on how it's guyed out and how much stuff you put in it.
    - seems to take quite a while to order and get delivered. I doubt I'd be able to have one by Labor Day
    - Doesn't come with a sleeping pad, not sure if there are any ways to strap an existing pad into place to minimize pad movement.

What else am I missing?
    Thanks once again!!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    This and your other post seem to indicate you aren't sure what a double layer hammock really is. It's a hammock with two layers. The pad goes between them. You don't have to use the reflective bubble wrap thingie that's pictured with the Deep Jungle, or the Supershelter - you can use any pad you already have. Just as you can with the Blackbird.

I thought the package deal was a good idea, but soon after getting a hennessy I wanted to change things. Now I much prefer getting the components ala carte. The Blackbird having no tarp was not a big deal. You are already saying you will replace the tarp on the Hennessy....

I got the webbing suspension on the Blackbird and then got whoopie slings. Went back toward the Hennessy combo rope/strap suspension - with a big huge difference in that the slings adjust on the fly, and the whole thing sets up without the figure 8 wrap, or climbing biners, or much fuss at all.... The webbing is nice, but heavy.

The sleeping pad that the Hennessy Supershelter comes with is an open cell. It's going to compress like crazy if you use it on the ground, and tear easily - most ground pads are closed cell or open cell sealed inside a tough shell. And having a pad you can use on the ground in an emergency is the only plus I see for using a pad at all. Underquilts are more comfortable.

I made snake skins for my Hennessy, and sold them with it. Didn't see a point to having them when the Blackbird has a perfectly good double ended stuff sack. Some people like skins better, but I found them a bit more of a nuisance than simply stuffing things.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    This and your other post seem to indicate you aren't sure what a double layer hammock really is. It's a hammock with two layers. The pad goes between them.
    I understand the concept. I don't understand the "between layer" access options. From what I've researched on the HH models, I've learned that there are 2 small access holes and other than those access points, the 2 layers are completely stitched together. See the attached photo, taken from:
    http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/revi...mas%20Vickers/

It seems that the HH model requires that you insert a rolled pad between the layers and then unroll it. However, you can affix 2 bungee cords to attempt to hold it in place. Even if you use a pad other than the included open cell reflective one, it appears possible that you can figure out a way to hold it in place using the 2 existing openings.

So back to my question... does the WBBB have similar "between layer" access options? How exactly do you fit a pad between layers?

I don't mind spending good money on good gear. Eventually, I'll probably get an underquilt. But for now, I'd like to have the best pad option available.

Hopefully that clarifies my requested info.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Suspension
    WS, huggers, toggs
    The WBBB has a similar style opening, if I remember correctly, on the zipper side. Brandon mentions this in one of his videos.
    ~We all start at the bottom~

• + New Posts