Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    1st is a question... you have a really thin 0° bag?
    From what I've read, you usually want something around 5in. in thickness (loft?) for zero degree bags.

My bag is barely an inch in a half. Just seems too thin to me. Maybe not? I don't really know...
    Last edited by aceatc; 10-09-2007 at 14:08.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Sock liners are for hiking - to prevent blisters and wick away moisture. They should be used the same as polypro underwear - tight against the skin to wick moisture, and covered by a blended (cotton/polyester or wool blend) fabric that will absorb and evaporate the moisture.

If you have sweaty feet at night, then wearing them will have the same effect as wearing polypro underwear at night. (I use the term "polypro" generically - there are many variations of polypropylene - most of which now contain some type of "anti-bacterial" treatment because polypro tends to stink up from the bacteria that is in your sweat (although scientists don't all agree on the cause of the stink.)

If your evaporation layer is covered by something that prevents evaporation (e.g. a non-breathable boot liner or non-breathable coat) then you have to replace the evaporation layer as it gets wet or the moisture will merely build up and defeat the purpose of the wicking.
    I understand what liners are supposed to do. I'm just wondering if I "STILL" need to get sock liners with my wigwam socks. My wigwam socks say they already have a sock liner build in... thus there is no use for sock liners.

Am I correct?

Images
    Sounds like 1.5" is way too thin for a zero degree bag, unless you mean 0 degrees C instead of F... because 0 C is 32 F... Then its only a little bit too thin....

Never heard of "built-in" sock liners... And I'd think it'd defeat the whole point, which is to have separate layers doing separate things and that you can change separately if you need to.

No it's zero degrees Fahrenheit.

I never knew you could put them together and still function as a stretchy sock... but that's what it said on the brand. GoreTex Wigwam.

I'll get liners if I have too. Right now I'm mainly trying to find some poly long johns :-)

Images
    TJMax has the Varitherm (Duofold) long johns for just $10

Images
    Don't need Gore-tex socks or liners for sleeping... In fact I'd NOT wear them since my feet tend to be hot and sweaty if there is ANY Gortex near them. GTX socks/liners/boots are for splashing about in puddles, if your feet are that wet in the hammock you likely have other problems.

I wear Smartwool socks (or equivalents) that can be had inexpensively if you look around. Just bought 4 pairs for $10. Wear them all time, even for everyday.

Images
    I was thinking of ordering a pair of slipper socks ("slocks") to wear in the hammock in case I have to get up in the middle of the night and don't want to lace up the boots.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/5...and-Women.html

Images
    Me i'd do like I do now when camping... regular socks and Crocs to slip on the night.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    These babies are awesome. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...s-For-Men.html The sole it very rugged with suede wrapping up the sides. They are down filled. You could sleep in them when really cold or just leave them under your hammock when it's not. I'm very happy with mine.

Miguel

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    These babies are awesome. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...s-For-Men.html The sole it very rugged with suede wrapping up the sides. They are down filled. You could sleep in them when really cold or just leave them under your hammock when it's not. I'm very happy with mine.

Miguel
    AND on the 50% off list; SWEET!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12