Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    MW3
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks for the reply jeffjen. I was hoping the reason people weren't using the sprays was the "bang for your buck" factor. Oh well, I'm just glad that there is so much good advice in this thread.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Id View Post
    No one has mentioned using silicone spray or a Camp Dry type product, is this because it wouldn't be durable? Would it completely waterproof a non-waterproof fabric? The reason I ask is, we have a local chemical recycler where I come across lots of silicone lubricant and waterproofing in spray cans.

If the spray option gets shot down, I can also get free tubes of the caulk and jugs of Coleman fuel. I still have a free option, just a much messier one. And I don't mean a French Canadian.
    Well, I've been slow in posting the results of my testing. I've tried DIY silicone mixture, spray-on, etc. I still have one more test to run but I'll try to get the results posted soon. We got into the holidays and it fell to the backburner.

Hammock
    Eno hammock w/ENO bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY siltarp 6x11
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Images
    I just snagged an ungodly amount of silnylon from my local wal-mart for $1.50 and while I was at it, bought all they had of green rip-stop nylon. Yards and yards...I was wondering why I bought the rip-stop????....after reading here guess I'll have to try a small piece for waterproofing...I have way more than I will ever use all up...anyone interested in it, the rip-stop, with a sase can send sample. e-mail [email protected]

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Lucky!

I can never find silnylon at my local wal mart...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    Lucky!

I can never find silnylon at my local wal mart...
    Ain't that the truth!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alter Id View Post
    No one has mentioned using silicone spray or a Camp Dry type product, is this because it wouldn't be durable? Would it completely waterproof a non-waterproof fabric?
    This was how I started experimenting, mostly 'cause I'm naturally lazy, but also because I had bought some Camp Dry from Wal-mart and had never used it. I figured it would be a good time to try. I tried to spray the ripstop like an aerosol and then found it in a liquid at Hobby Lobby and tried to dunk and kneed it into the fibers. Neither worked. Using clear sil in the tubes and mineral spirits seems (to me at least) to work the best.
    Last edited by Splinter; 01-24-2009 at 12:38.
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Okay, I had to try this for myself since I had a bunch of the 1.1 wally world rip stop. I elected to sew it all up first and apply the sil as a last step. I wanted to apply the sil last for a few reasons. First, I just thought it would be a lot less messy and simpler if I could set up the tarp nice and taught to apply the sil mixture. This way I wasn't submerging a bunch of fabric in the mixture and then pulling it all out and having to deal with it that way. Second, I thought that this way I could just apply the sil and seam seal all in one application. I applied it with a sponge applicator and it went right through to the other side.

The nylon definitely takes on a whole new persona and gets darker after the application.

I tried out the line locks on it and so far I like them. It's not a sexy cat tarp but it is a hex cut. Since the application of the sil has cured, I set it up and tested it with the hose and it’s water tight. I think the DIY sil is a great low cost alternative to commercial sil nylon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

consider me inspired

ok, I am going to do this thing. I have a lot of untreated ripstop that i also got from wallyworld. I have to do SOMETHING with it and I need a big ol two person tarp. I just might give her a go!

Adam

Images
    great, that's how i was thinking to do it as well, make the tarp, set it up and then treat it. did you wipe off the excess after you sponged it on? did you weigh it before and after? glad it worked well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by speyguy View Post
    Okay, I had to try this for myself since I had a bunch of the 1.1 wally world rip stop. I elected to sew it all up first and apply the sil as a last step. I wanted to apply the sil last for a few reasons. First, I just thought it would be a lot less messy and simpler if I could set up the tarp nice and taught to apply the sil mixture. This way I wasn't submerging a bunch of fabric in the mixture and then pulling it all out and having to deal with it that way. Second, I thought that this way I could just apply the sil and seam seal all in one application. I applied it with a sponge applicator and it went right through to the other side.

The nylon definitely takes on a whole new persona and gets darker after the application.

I tried out the line locks on it and so far I like them. It's not a sexy cat tarp but it is a hex cut. Since the application of the sil has cured, I set it up and tested it with the hose and it’s water tight. I think the DIY sil is a great low cost alternative to commercial sil nylon.

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    great, that's how i was thinking to do it as well, make the tarp, set it up and then treat it. did you wipe off the excess after you sponged it on? did you weigh it before and after? glad it worked well for you.
    I did not wipe off the excess. The sponge applicator took care of that on the application side, but there was some excess that got pushed through to the other side that could have been wiped off. When you are applying it, you tend to think the thicker the better. But now that it's done, it's easier to see that it does not need a very thick application to be successful. It just ended up being a little thicker in some spots on the back side.

I didn't think to measure before and after. That would have been smart. Finished product though for a 124" (ridge line) by 100" width is 15oz.
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    That's a great looking tarp!!! I'm going to start a new tarp in a few weeks and I'm going to try and sponge the sil on instead of dunking (which is what I've done on my two previous tarps). In the two that i've previously done, I've used ~ a baseball sized amount of sil and then thinned. How much did you use? or did you notice?
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast