WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BaseKampChef View Post
    Maybe I can get enough paper from neighbours and such...
    Wait... You live in the Atlanta area and you need to go to neighbors to get additional sheets of newspaper? One Sunday Journal/Constitution should probably cover an entire driveway.

Not sure why, but we don't even have a subscription and we have two local papers delivered to us. I guess the advertisers pay for them, 'cause we sure don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped-4-Cache View Post
    Wait... You live in the Atlanta area and you need to go to neighbors to get additional sheets of newspaper? One Sunday Journal/Constitution should probably cover an entire driveway.

Not sure why, but we don't even have a subscription and we have two local papers delivered to us. I guess the advertisers pay for them, 'cause we sure don't.

I'm not even going to PAY for the ATL JC.... .... but my neighbor gets it EVERY.... SINGLE...DAY..... so I will save my $4.50.

Yeah I am that cheap....

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    So I'm getting ready to try making some sil myself, I have everything besides the ripstop -- which brings me to my question (that is slightly off topic.... deal with it).

How easy is it to identify ripstop when it has a pattern (ex. Digital Camo print). i stopped by wally world today to check the bargain bin and they had 5 bolts of some camo print nylon, but I couldn't decisively tell if it was ripstop. I would assume it would be fairly obvious what with the checkerboard lines running through it, but I couldnt tell through the print.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Ripstop doesn't really fray on the edges. The only way I've been able to tell is by having guaranteed ripstop and fake ripstop. The difference is very obvious once you have something to compare. You can purchase samples from cottage fabric supplies to know the diff. in person.

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    Well I guess then my question becomes, if it's not ripstop, and its just regular old nylon -- What is the strength difference in applications such as stuffsacks, or in the case of making my own silnylon, a tarp?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You should be able to flip the pattern over and see the weave better. Most of the camo I've seen at 5 different walmarts was not even nylon.

Even in camo, though, the ripstop pattern is pretty noticeable.

From a durability standpoint, when you drag a piece of ripstop over a rock, and wear a hole in it, the hole won't (generally) grow, where non-ripstop will tear and begin it's downward spiral...

That said, I have 2 stuff sacks (one for my whisperlite stove) that I made over 25 years ago from heavy cotton fabric. (****, I must be getting old!) and they're still going strong. It all depends on the abuse the material is going to take, and the load it's going to be under.

A non-ripstop stuff sack under no load, even with a hole in it would last forever, but a hammock made from non-ripstop would spontaneously fail with a small tear under your butt... So for a tarp, non-ripstop would be a bad idea, unless it was used in the best of conditions (aka no wind, not stretched too tight, etc.) It could last for years as a tarp until the first big wind comes along that exploits a small hole or imperfection...

From a strength perspective, the strength should be similar, it just won't be as durable...
    Last edited by JohnSawyer; 03-02-2010 at 21:54.

Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    So I'm getting ready to try making some sil myself, I have everything besides the ripstop -- which brings me to my question (that is slightly off topic.... deal with it).

How easy is it to identify ripstop when it has a pattern (ex. Digital Camo print). i stopped by wally world today to check the bargain bin and they had 5 bolts of some camo print nylon, but I couldn't decisively tell if it was ripstop. I would assume it would be fairly obvious what with the checkerboard lines running through it, but I couldnt tell through the print.
    You can go into a Jo Ann Fabric shop, I buy rip/stop there all the time in Fl. I'm showing an address in Denver at, 2530 S Colorado Blvd. It will be labled ripstop nylon. It's not sil tho.

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    Thanks for the good info. I'm still new to ripstop. Only worked with cotton and canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    You can go into a Jo Ann Fabric shop, I buy rip/stop there all the time in Fl. I'm showing an address in Denver at, 2530 S Colorado Blvd. It will be labled ripstop nylon. It's not sil tho.
    I know of two places I can get ripstop if i want to pay full price for it

The joanne that I live by has ripstop, i just dont know what weight it is.

The stuff my hammock is currently made of I bought at a different fabric store and it was labeled as 1.9oz. My guess is that the joanne stuff is the same, but i've never seen 1.1oz so i'm not sure how much of a visual difference there is.

I also wanted to go with wally ripstop because I want to be ok with messing up my first attempt (or two, haha) being as I wouldn't have invested very much money in it.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Sealed the ridgeline seam with Silnet last week and last night I hung the tarp in heavy rain and wind to better test how well the DIY sil worked.

Good news is the tarp stayed totally dry on the underside.

Bad news is I still got some drips from the ridgeline seam which was surprising because I sealed the topside and used quite a bit.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15318
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    That is good news. I redo mine tomorrow.

What type of seam did you use for the ridgeline? Did you run grossgrain down the ridgeline seam afterward??

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast