Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Good Learning Project?

I just dug out my old Vietnam-era mil-surplus poncho. It was dusty and filthy, so I decided to wash it. I discovered that the waterproof coating is coming off in strips.

I am thinking about peeling off as much of this coating as possible, and then giving the uncovered portions the sil-nylon treatment. I don't expect to get perfect results, but I've nothing to lose but the cost the materials and a little time.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments? I have a nagging feeling that there's something about this project I don't know that is about to bite me.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Mess

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Rider View Post
    I just dug out my old Vietnam-era mil-surplus poncho. It was dusty and filthy, so I decided to wash it. I discovered that the waterproof coating is coming off in strips.

I am thinking about peeling off as much of this coating as possible, and then giving the uncovered portions the sil-nylon treatment. I don't expect to get perfect results, but I've nothing to lose but the cost the materials and a little time.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments? I have a nagging feeling that there's something about this project I don't know that is about to bite me.
    Just have everything ready before you start. Cleanup is half the project. I just made a 10x12 tarp and I'll test it's success after sewing.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Maybe you could coat the now uncoated side to get full coverage and not have to worry about the spots where you cant get the old urethane off ?!?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I don't know how I missed this, but I just learned that in recent years, silnylon makers had to stop using whatever solvent they were using... now they use polyurethane as part of the solvent for making silnylon!

Anybody know anything about that?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    That is good news. I redo mine tomorrow.

What type of seam did you use for the ridgeline? Did you run grossgrain down the ridgeline seam afterward??
    The grosgrain ribbon is inside the ridge seam.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I don't know how I missed this, but I just learned that in recent years, silnylon makers had to stop using whatever solvent they were using... now they use polyurethane as part of the solvent for making silnylon!

Anybody know anything about that?
    This is partly true. There is a more recent move in Silnylon manufacturing that is a "proprietary" blend of silicone and "other" (likely PU). It works very well. The Treebark Brown material I use is a Cordura fabric with this type of impregnation.

That said - most Silnylon manufacturing is striaght silicone.

There is also a third kind that's gotten a lot of attention, usually called "Ultra-Sil" (different from Ultrasil, which is pure silicone). Ultra-Sil is sil coated on one side, and PU coated on the other side (so they can tape the seams). Sea-to-Summit is making stuff sacks with it, as well as some other products. It is not, however (as far as I've been able to find - still looking), something that you can just buy from a distributor. It's made special for the "big box" gear makers. I'm all ears if anyone finds a source for the raw fabric!
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    The RainShed has UltraSil, apparently. I've ordered several things from them, and they're extremely helpful on the phone.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    ...most Silnylon manufacturing is striaght silicone.
    It must be delivered with a solvent, though. I'm just curious... it doesn't really matter. Us chemical types sometimes care more about the solvent than the solvate!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    My own ... the Lithium Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tyvek.
    Insulation
    It depends.
    Suspension
    3/16 Sta-set

Lightbulb Joann tip

Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    [...]
    I know of two places I can get ripstop if i want to pay full price for it

The joann that I live by has ripstop, i just dont know what weight it is.

The stuff my hammock is currently made of I bought at a different fabric store and it was labeled as 1.9oz. My guess is that the joanne stuff is the same, but i've never seen 1.1oz so i'm not sure how much of a visual difference there is.
    [...]
    A few things about Joann:

I bought some ripstop from them and weighed it. It was 1.9 ounce stuff. It was available in about 6-7 solid colors. List price is $7 per linear yard of 60-inch stuff. 50% off coupons are almost always available. Google for them and print them yourself.

Best Regards,
    GC

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

Talking DIY Silicone Fabrics ...

Just found this thread and probably missed how the factories impregnate silicone information in the middle somewhere ... but here goes.

The Chinese factory I'm talking to about a silicone/polyester weighing finished close to 1.3 oz sq yd "dip" their fabrics and then run the silicone dipped fabric through a wringer/sqeegee of some sort and then into a drying oven.

Hopefully the USA market will soon have sil/poly. I'm asking for a thread smaller than 30-30 and this just might put sil/poly close to 1.0 Hopefully this fabric will sell at close to $8 - $9 a yard.

I have NO idea why all silicone is applied only to nylon other than incremental up cost.

Also, we are preparing to have a mill produce a fabric similar to Spinntex EXP that will be 30% less retail. Hopefully it will come thru at $11 -$12 a yard.

Ah yes ... progress

Anyone interested in fabrics like the two above, send GramMan your address and I'll put you on our possible customers list ...

It will be a while tho as we have not ordered yet. Still negotiating ... Looking at Spring for a possible in-house date.

GramMan
    dpengineering

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast