Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Images
    Did anybody ever actually make an entire tarp using the methods described in this thread. I found some nice 1.1 digital camo ripstop and I want to use it for a tarp, but it is untreated. I thought I might try this method, but I wanted to check if anybody actually had success on an entire tarp.

Also, is the best approach to sew the tarp first, then try to waterproof the fabric?

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    yep - spent the week under it while the wife was away (trying out my new bridge and tweaking the ridge length on the other), and it rained a couple of nights.

waterproof, then sew.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Tight-wad, was the fabric you used completely uncoated to begin with? Was it the digital camo?
    Like this: http://www.diytacticalstore.com/cata...6d816730767769
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Images
    It was completely uncoated. I got it at Wal-mart, so I'm not sure if it is exactly the same stuff, but looks similar. I tried soaking a piece about 5'X5' in silicon/mineral spirits solution and it seems to have done the trick. A sprinkler test didn't reveal any leaks. I'll probably end up treating the rest of it and making a tarp.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    waterproof, then sew.
    Why is it better to treat first? I would have thought the opposite . . . .

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    probably has to do with less volume to soak at one time. I suspect it is easier to get a good coating with less volume. Plus you can mix up smaller batches and use smaller containers.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    i had considered (but never tried) making the tarp, setting it up tight, and then spongeing it on both sides and them wiping it off, no soaking at all, if it is breathable to begin with, it should absorb into it.

Ive been wanting to try this but a little differently thought it wet the fabric with sil/mineral spirts solution then put it in a food saver bag and vacume bag it for a bit then remove it and set it up to dry. Might even be able to leave it bagged for qute a while as I dont think the silicone will setup in that environment might try this weekend

Marty

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boar View Post
    Ive been wanting to try this but a little differently thought it wet the fabric with sil/mineral spirts solution then put it in a food saver bag and vacume bag it for a bit then remove it and set it up to dry. Might even be able to leave it bagged for qute a while as I dont think the silicone will setup in that environment might try this weekend

Marty
    Marty,

I have stored silicone/mineral spirits in a mason jar that I pulled a vacuum on using a pretty powerful vacuum pump through a one-way valve made by punching a hole in the lid and covering it with electrical tape that had a strip of a grocery plastic bag running down the middle (this whole thing was inspired by some hand-pump gadget that I saw on TV). The vacuum held well and it definitely slowed down the curing process. The mixture was usable the next day but required a bit of stirring and further thinning with mineral spirits. I would not recommend leaving the fabric and sil mixture under vacuum for an extended period of time. I would also be a bit concerned about using a food saver for the project. The fumes of curing silicone have a pretty strong odor.

Good luck making silnylon!

Schneiderlein,

thanks for your response I like the valve on the mason jar idea on jars I use the food saver jar atachment it uses a hose so I can ust the food saver, hand pump, or a larger pump out in the shop it seals a cannin jar lid down pretty handy to have aroun at times
    as to usein the food saver I thought vac it and seal it would be a simple way to do it let it sit for 20- 30 mins kinda watch and see when it seems right
    as to the fumes I have a dedicated vacbagger for the shop and yeah silicone does have a very strong odor thanks for the concern

Marty

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast