DIY WBBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 Insultex
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    About 3 months ago I followed the directions on this thread to seal an asym and a hex tarp I put together. I've only used them a handful of times in rainy weather so while it is too early to speak on how durable these tarps are but they are definitely waterproof. The only times I've gotten wet was while using the asym in a windy storm but that was only on the ends and I believe that was more of a function of my tarp not providing adequate coverage. The hex has been set up in 2 storms with high winds and heavy rain and performed beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by ge.jeffers View Post
    ok, I just sat and read 45 pages of posts, replies, and comments. So just a few questions.
    1. If you have the material, is it cheaper to do this vs. going out and buying silnylon?
    For me it was cheaper in the sense that I had a large roll of fabric that I had sitting in my closet that I purchased from magna fabrics. I had ordered 50 yards at $1.25 a yard and had a good bit left from my DIY WBBB, IX underquilt, and climashield top quilt projects. Also I already had some clear silicon in the garage from an earlier home improvement job. So the only real expense I had was purchasing the mineral spirits and a few plastic D-rings from DIYGearSupply. Although I was risking wasting a few yards of fabric if it didn't turn out well I decided to give it a shot since I didn't have any other plans for the material.

2. Do you sew the tarp, since I am wanting to do a winter or 4 season tarp, before you waterproof it?
    Yes I sewed mine before hand. I made sure to add all my tie outs and grosgrain as well before attempting to seal the material.

4. If you have to set it up, I assume it would be the same way that you would pitch the tarp, when they say they brushed both sides is that the left and right sides or is that the inside and the outside?
    I only brushed the outside of mine after setting the tarp up as I normally would. I am unsure if this is the ideal way to apply the silicon but it worked for me. I made sure to apply several very thin layers until I felt it was adequately covered.

5. Finally, I think, will the mineral spirits evaporate when it is cold outside?
    Since I live in south Mississippi I have no idea how the cold would affect applying the silicon. Around here we start commenting on how cold the weather is as soon as it begins dropping below 45° F at night!

Overall if you’re having to buy all the materials I would recommend just buying the silnylon from Scott at DIYGearSupply. He has great prices and I’ve been very satisfied with all the orders I've placed with him. You won’t have to spend that much more and the quality will definitely be higher. Now on the other hand if you already have some left over fabric from another project or already have silicone then it is a fun project and I do think it’s a good learning experience. Now I feel comfortable applying silicone to my tarp and if I ever had to do repairs on a silnylon tarp I would feel more comfortable working with the materials.

I feel like this is the same debate that always goes on when considering going the DIY route or purchasing from the amazing cottage vendors that are present on this site. Overall their quality is top of the line and the prices are hard to beat. Now on the other hand assembling your own gear can be just as rewarding (and addicting) as actually using the gear!

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    good test. it would be great if you could come up w/ some kind of double roller, about 6' wide to run it through or pull it through & squeeze the excess away.
    I am showing my age. Old fashion washing machines had a add on called a "Wringer". Old washing machines were called Wringer-washing-machines.
    I have seen these nasty things separate from the washer. Something like that could be used for all kinds of things that you wanted to run between two pressure plates or rollers. You can adjust the wringer to the tension you want, they can be manual or electric.

Then again you could get crazy and wild, bring the whole machine home. They are great for washing filthy work clothes, they do an amazing job, and recyle the water also.

GUYS, DO NOT SURPRISE YOU LADY WITH ONE OF THESE. SHE WILL NOT BE PLEASED.

Hammock
    eno double nest, 12'r, 90x132"r
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12 :D
    Insulation
    DIY down and VB
    Suspension
    cinch/whoopie
    i have some new ideas for making silnyl. if anyone has 1'x1' leftovers of 1.1 and 1.4 i would love them. ill even take m50 scraps as well. must be as close to 1'x1' as possible. i am attempting to improve the at home diy silnyl process. so if youd like to donate. pm me for my address
    Glory to the Fallen, Honor to the Lost. Faith to the Missing. Carry on Forever.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    bump . . . . (into another year)

Any update on this new & improved process?

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    I did not read through all the posts, but I was planning on following this method. Straightforward, do a lot of material and proof a few sacks as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTZPllgqSc

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    I am showing my age. Old fashion washing machines had a add on called a "Wringer". Old washing machines were called Wringer-washing-machines.
    I have seen these nasty things separate from the washer. Something like that could be used for all kinds of things that you wanted to run between two pressure plates or rollers. You can adjust the wringer to the tension you want, they can be manual or electric.

Then again you could get crazy and wild, bring the whole machine home. They are great for washing filthy work clothes, they do an amazing job, and recyle the water also.

GUYS, DO NOT SURPRISE YOU LADY WITH ONE OF THESE. SHE WILL NOT BE PLEASED.

I wonder if a mop wringer would suffice?

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Climashield UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps

Interesting

Definitely like the wider color options that would be available.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Do you have to squeegee it off after dunking?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Just for fun, I made a tarp for the *GASP* ground out of jo-ann's ripstop. It's the first tarp I've made, and learned a lot. Cat cuts on all edges, grosgrain tie outs, etc. Happy with how it turned out, don't know if I'll ever use it.

To mix the sil, I put the silicone in an empty milk gallon and then eyeballed an appropriate amount of mineral spirits and then shook it all together. The mix was viscous enough to brush on with a bristle brush. I did one side, then flipped it over and did the other, just to be sure. I then wiped the whole thing down with paper towels to absorb any excess. If anything, I erred on the side of applying too much, but I didn't want to do too little...

It's still drying/curing outside, so I don't know how heavy it is yet. It was about 9 oz before sil application.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    DIY tacticool Camo
    Insulation
    Marmot top DIY bot
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Okay, so I read all 537 pages of this thread and I didn't see if anyone actually tried the concrete/masonry/tile sealer.
    anyone, anyone? Bueller?

• + New Posts
  • Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast