Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Planning to move up from tenting
    Tarp
    DIY blackcat
    I'm new to this whole hammock area, but I earn my living as a professional chemist making silicone products for personal care and textile applications. That being said, I would still never consider trying to waterproof ripstop nylon myself as an effective way of achieving desired results. Lightweight 1st quality silnylon is totally worth the price of admission. My customers apply 800 - 3000 psi between rollers in the process of impregnated nylon and it's light and very consistent. Perfect in general. The better silicone can be two part and catalyzed during the process to crosslink and form a very durable bond. I love this forum and do not say this to discourage anyone from trying and succeeding in their efforts to do anything themselves. I just think the exposure to the solvents and not a good idea for most people. I say that from nearly a lifetime of working with this stuff and this application of solvents are very dangerous and should be discouraged unless you like taking risks with your lungs, liver and and fire.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question

THANKS, Chembrew! Good stuff. What about "rehabilitating" sil-nylon? Is it worth the trouble then? I've never made rip-stop into sil-nylon, but have fixed leaky sil-nylon stuff sacks, etc.

Rain Man

Quote Originally Posted by Chembrew View Post
    I'm new to this whole hammock area, but I earn my living as a professional chemist making silicone products for personal care and textile applications. That being said, I would still never consider trying to waterproof ripstop nylon myself as an effective way of achieving desired results. Lightweight 1st quality silnylon is totally worth the price of admission. My customers apply 800 - 3000 psi between rollers in the process of impregnated nylon and it's light and very consistent. Perfect in general. The better silicone can be two part and catalyzed during the process to crosslink and form a very durable bond. I love this forum and do not say this to discourage anyone from trying and succeeding in their efforts to do anything themselves. I just think the exposure to the solvents and not a good idea for most people. I say that from nearly a lifetime of working with this stuff and this application of solvents are very dangerous and should be discouraged unless you like taking risks with your lungs, liver and and fire.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    I agree with basically all the points Chembrew made and did mine just see how well it would work on a tarp. I haven't used my tarp multiple times and my sil coating ended up heavier than I would prefer, however my first attempt at creating my own nysil was on a homemade bicycle seat cover. I have wadded it up probably 200 times and had it on my seat for several months now in the rain, sun and snow. So far it looks as good as when I made it and is completely waterproof. Basically it has exceeded my best expectations.
    Ed

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chembrew View Post
    Thanks for chiming in, Chembrew. It's always good to get advice from the experts.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Planning to move up from tenting
    Tarp
    DIY blackcat
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    THANKS, Chembrew! Good stuff. What about "rehabilitating" sil-nylon? Is it worth the trouble then? I've never made rip-stop into sil-nylon, but have fixed leaky sil-nylon stuff sacks, etc.

Rain Man
    I was really only referring to making yardage of it. Everything else is fun and practical for DIY I'm making my first blackcap tarp and will use ideas from this forum to make my own seam sealer. I bought the silnylon from tree to trail. It's pricey in general and worth every cent.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Rain Man
    I was on another forum and henry shires (of tarptent) chimed in and suggested useing silicone spray found in many sporting good stores to "rehabilitate" sil. He suggested that one can or about 2oz of silicone can prevent "misting" in the sil. Here is a video made by Franco, Tarptents Australian distributor where he applies the spray to a double rainbow tarp tent. Although its on a tent it would apply to a sil tarp as well.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    I may give this a try, it would save a few bucks from buying sil.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Big Daddy Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF/
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    So i decided i would make my own sil. I did a little test piece today. I used a half gallon of mineral and 1 tube of caulk. I'm waiting on the piece to dry but it seemed to work pretty well and if the piece i made is water tight tomorrow ill be doing the whole tarp sometime next week.

Now for a few questions, Is 1 tube of caulk and a half gallon of mineral spirits a good ratio?

Any tips for how to do this with a whole tarp? Doing just the small piece i realised how hard doing the full thing is going to be.

And will letting this dry outside overnight be a problem? I plan on hanging a larger blue polly tarp over it to try to keep as much stuff off as possible because unfortunately i don't have a garage to hang the tarp in.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pj1008 View Post
    Now for a few questions, Is 1 tube of caulk and a half gallon of mineral spirits a good ratio?
    Folks use any ratio from 3-to-1 to 10-to-1, spirits-to-silicone. I use 4-to-1. Whether you go by weight or volume doesn't matter.

I've never done a whole tarp, but would recommend two things-- do it outside (plenty of ventilation) and wipe or scrape off all excess. You want the silicone down in the holes between the threads, not as a coating.

Beware, if I don't use it right away, mine "sets up" on me after I mix it and will not last 24 hours or so. Gets either really gooey or just firm. Unusable in either case.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have a DIY sil tarp. If your looking for a light weight backpacking tarp, buy the sil-nylon. If you just want the wow factor and car camp, then a DIY tarp with DIY sil is nice. The DiY sil on a full tarp adds alot of weight. Just my .02.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts
  • Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast