Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

make your own sil.

i decided to see if i could make my own sil nylon out of breathable 1.1.

i decide to soak it on, thinking i could get a much more consistent coating than with a brush, and also thinking i could make it alot thinner and it might soak in to the interior fibers better making it more like impregnated than coated, and that maybe it wouldn't wear off like a coating might.

i mixed mineral spirits and silicone to get something thin enough to soak the fabric in, soaked one, thinned further, soaked another, thinned again, soaked a third.

i gave all three the shower head test, the first one, the thickest mix (#1) seemed the best, it was also apparent that any excess should have been wiped off before it dried, seems like it will not drip off unless it's too thin.

the first test was done with 6" squares, so then i cut out an exact sq. yd, weighed it at 1.1/32g, i eyeballed a larger mix that looked like the first one, soaked, wrung out, and wiped both sides as dry as i could and let it dry over night.

results are good, weighs exactly 1.3/38g, and seems to do about as well or at least close to sil on the shower head test, i'm thinking if it would have been a tarp, i would have set it up tight, to fully stretch it, then wipe it down, this may allow mix to penetrate deeper and better into the inside of the fabric better, worked suprisingly well the way i did it though.

can't say about durability, did seem like i got most of the sil off the surface already though by wiping it down.

don't know when i'll make a whole tarp, i just wondered about it awhile ago, and i happened to have the silicone out yesterday, sorry i don't have any exact mix ratios, i couldn't find anything to measure with but my kitchen stuff, so i just eyeballed it all. it was runny, but still had a little thickness left, and was pretty cloudy looking at an inch deep, but pretty clear at a half inch or so.(as i remember it)

i know sil is hard to find in many colors, so this may be an option, especially if you want exact color matches.

don't know about tear strength, sil has a higher tear strength than breathable 1.9, so i don't know about this stuff.

i also don't know how factory impregnation is done or if this is similar or not, i just know impregnation is present on the interior of the fabric as this seems to be as well.

maybe somebody has already tried this and knows more about long term use.

Brandon

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    good test. it would be great if you could come up w/ some kind of double roller, about 6' wide to run it through or pull it through & squeeze the excess away.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    yeah, that would be better than wringing it out, wiping it down with a dry sponge or something would still probably be necessary though, depending on how well the rollers worked i guess.

maybe once you get it strung up tight and wet, you could use a squeegee.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    good test. it would be great if you could come up w/ some kind of double roller, about 6' wide to run it through or pull it through & squeeze the excess away.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I am showing my age. Old fashion washing machines had a add on called a "Wringer". Old washing machines were called Wringer-washing-machines.
    I have seen these nasty things separate from the washer. Something like that could be used for all kinds of things that you wanted to run between two pressure plates or rollers. You can adjust the wringer to the tension you want, they can be manual or electric.

Then again you could get crazy and wild, bring the whole machine home. They are great for washing filthy work clothes, they do an amazing job, and recyle the water also.

GUYS, DO NOT SURPRISE YOU LADY WITH ONE OF THESE. SHE WILL NOT BE PLEASED.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    I am showing my age. Old fashion washing machines had a add on called a "Wringer". Old washing machines were called Wringer-washing-machines.
    I have seen these nasty things separate from the washer. Something like that could be used for all kinds of things that you wanted to run between two pressure plates or rollers. You can adjust the wringer to the tension you want, they can be manual or electric.

Then again you could get crazy and wild, bring the whole machine home. They are great for washing filthy work clothes, they do an amazing job, and recyle the water also.

GUYS, DO NOT SURPRISE YOU LADY WITH ONE OF THESE. SHE WILL NOT BE PLEASED.

I wonder if a mop wringer would suffice?

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Climashield UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps

Interesting

Definitely like the wider color options that would be available.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    another way to impregnate is to use vaccume...I impregnate some of the woods I use in my turkey calls and have had some "fun" with different items...such as marshmellows...ever seen one the size of a coffee can? LOL....anyway...you could do the same thing with the fabric...this would insure even and thourough impregnation. I also would suggest the tight pull and rag/sponge for removal of excess.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Images
    cool, a vaccume, maybe that's how they do a factory impregnation. what did you impregnate the wood with?

Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    another way to impregnate is to use vaccume...I impregnate some of the woods I use in my turkey calls and have had some "fun" with different items...such as marshmellows...ever seen one the size of a coffee can? LOL....anyway...you could do the same thing with the fabric...this would insure even and thourough impregnation. I also would suggest the tight pull and rag/sponge for removal of excess.

Hammock
    DIY DL Channel end Sewn Poly
    Tarp
    Walwrld sq,B/R.non
    Insulation
    Cman S/B alteredUQ
    Suspension
    strpwks/rope/rings
    This is interesting. They already have appropriately sized chocolate bars. Now does anyone have a line on the 18"x18" graham crackers? S'MORES!!

Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post

Hammock
    My own ... the Lithium Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tyvek.
    Insulation
    It depends.
    Suspension
    3/16 Sta-set

Use masonry solicone?

I went thru all 14 pages in this thread, and didn't see anything about using "Brick & Tile Silicone Sealer". It's used for sealing porous tile or brick for exterior use.

The stuff comes in gallons. I could imagine dumping it into a bucket, stuffing in the finished tarp, and letting it sit overnight. Next day, hang the tarp up to dry, and pour the excess sealer back into the original container.

Anybody tried this?

GC

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast