Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    Wow, great info. That's what I was hoping for! I just think so highly of our members here. I brag to people I know about it but they don't get it. Kudos to you.

I am a serious fisherman. My buddy, not so much. I have wanted to fish Alaska all my life. Yeah, I realize it is the fishing mecca. That's why I am so bummed. He wants to go to specifically to denali (who wouldn't).

Is there somewhere as "Grand as denali" with better fishing that you might suggest anyone?

The idea was to rent car & drive it there and drop it off. Catch the train and then the shuttle bus into and back from Denali. We could get a return trip ticket for $277 each.

Part of the reason we were considering the drive was because of the cost. Tickets are expensive and their is big fee to check in our gear. It's like an additional $100 each. I'm not going without a good knife, a multi-tool and bear spray. Maybe we could ship our stuff there ahead of time? is that possible/realistic? What did you guys do?

Me and 2P are gonna sit back down and rehash the drive/fly idea. I'll let you know what we decide.

please keep the opinions coming!
    2P here! Hey, here's the plan:

We leave first light on a Thursday and drive from Indiana to Denali. At 3874 miles that puts us there is around 60 hours (quicker depending on how bad Skookum gets on my nerves driving ). So, we get there Sat/Sun sometime. We hike from Sun/Mon until the following Saturday and then fly home. IMO 5-6 days of good hiking/camping is a great first time trip to Denali. Btw, I appreciate all the good insight you guys have been giving.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    fishing Mecca, complex rules... so I've heard.

2P, have you considered the condition of the roads? I've heard it is much better than a few years ago, but not real good.

I would ship stuff ahead, fly with carry-on bags, and enjoy!

- MacEntyre, jealous
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    fishing Mecca, complex rules... so I've heard.

2P, have you considered the condition of the roads? I've heard it is much better than a few years ago, but not real good.

I would ship stuff ahead, fly with carry-on bags, and enjoy!

- MacEntyre, jealous
    Here's what a buddy of mine who lives in Canada told me:

Route numbers: BC Highway 97, Yukon Highway 1, Alaska Route 2

Connects: Dawson Creek, BC, to Delta Junction, AK

Length: 1,390 miles (Historical Mile 1422)

Road surface: Paved

Road conditions: Fair to excellent. Watch for loose gravel, bumps, dips, frost heaves, and sections of narrow, winding road without shoulders. Also watch for road construction in summer.

Season: Open all year

Highest summit: Summit Lake, 4,250 feet

Major attractions: Muncho Lake, Liard Hotsprings, Watson Lake Signforest, SS Klondike, Kluane Lake, Trans-Alaska Pipeline Crossing

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    It can be done but your going to have to calculate in traffic, and other possible slow downs, i.e. moose, site seeing, detours, possible mechanical breakdowns, fuel stops and expenses, potty breaks and food stops.

I would suggest spend the money on the flight and enjoy as much of Alaska as you can. 3800 miles in 60 hours is not realistic in my opinion.
    I've done some long hual driving (+24 hrs) before, and to really enjoy it you need a few breaks. It whoops on ya.
    By the time you guys arrive, your gonna have to come back.

Or extend your stay in AK to another week. Seems counterproductive to drive there, (yes, it is romantic) and spend a day or two and fly back.

Check rates for a ticket next year, most airlines offer steep discounts for prepurchase flights. Don't look at ticket prices for today, call a travel agent, and tell them your plans. We get a big discount for the mission team by pre-buying our flights months ahead of time. Most travel agencies can get substantial discounts. Talk with friends and family that travel alot and see if you can use thier frequent flyer miles. Alot of business folks never can use all their miles. Might offset the cost even more.

Fuel is a lot more pricey up yonder too. Factor that in to your costs. Food is more as well.

Nice to see you back on the forum Skook. Hope your doing well.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Personally, (IMHO) if I only had 7 days, I would consider flying or consider a shorter road trip. The Canadian Rockies are only half the distance and amazing scenery as well.
    Very true indeed!

Heck there are a lot of awesome places to see in the lower 48 if time is short!
    Agree!

More Alaska pictures to whet your appetite. (previously posted on an older thread--nothing new)

BillyBob--nice photos of McKinley!
    Thanks! I liked your photos even better!

Images

I am a serious fisherman. My buddy, not so much. I have wanted to fish Alaska all my life. Yeah, I realize it is the fishing mecca. That's why I am so bummed. He wants to go to specifically to denali (who wouldn't).

Is there somewhere as "Grand as denali" with better fishing that you might suggest anyone?!
    I think you better call or e-mail Denali park about the fishing. Seems like I heard a lot of comments from locals about it being a very seasonal thing. Has to do with how much glacial silt is in the rivers and Salmon runs and such.

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    2P! I forgot you were a member here.

(guys, give him a hard time as he is a lowly ground dweller)

2P! I forgot you were a member here.

(guys, give him a hard time as he is a lowly ground dweller)
    Hey now, it may be this ground dweller's tent you're sleeping in if you can't find any trees to tie off to...LOL.

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjzn View Post
    Hey now, it may be this ground dweller's tent you're sleeping in if you can't find any trees to tie off to...LOL.

good point!

My wife and I were able to pack everything for 12 days into a size large TNF duffel each, keeping weight below 50#. So baggage fee, but no worse than any airline these days. Granted we got there and rented an RV out of Anchorage and didn't bring much camping gear. Right outside Denali proper there are outfitters where you could rent some of the extraneous gear for a couple days. Much of the fishing in Alaska is chartered, so gear can be rented on site. Agree with BillyBob that many of the larger rivers in Denali are too heavily silted to hope for much fishing. Maybe trout in smaller clear streams? Not talking from experience on that one.

One of the nice things about AK is that it is very friendly to road travellers especially campers/RVs. Tons of pull offs for short breaks or overnighting. Highly recommend The Milepost guide. Loads of information on all major routes in AK indexed by highway mileposts. Have the 2009 edition that I could sent you. 2010 version is available but probably has not changed all that much. Very useful. PM me if interested ("free" for shipping cost). Fishing regs available at
    http://adfg.state.ak.us/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast