Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    My Ma and Pa just got got back from a trip to Denalie and they said the oldest trees were 150 years old and they looked liked shrubs to my Minnesotan eyes. You may need a tent

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    My Ma and Pa just got got back from a trip to Denalie and they said the oldest trees were 150 years old and they looked liked shrubs to my Minnesotan eyes. You may need a tent
    Crap! I really wanted to sport my Skookum Stealth DIY hammock! oh well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    Crap! I really wanted to sport my Skookum Stealth DIY hammock! oh well.....
    Surely to God there are some decent sized trees somewhere in Denali. The thing is we won't know what "unit" we can set up camp in until we get there. They might stick us on a glacier field somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjzn View Post
    Surely to God there are some decent sized trees somewhere in Denali. The thing is we won't know what "unit" we can set up camp in until we get there. They might stick us on a glacier field somewhere.
    There are plenty of trees in parts of Denali. Mosly evergreens. You can see them in quite a few of our pics. But there is a LOT of wide open backcountry with no trees.

Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    There are plenty of trees in parts of Denali. Mosly evergreens. You can see them in quite a few of our pics. But there is a LOT of wide open backcountry with no trees.
    The biggest challenge I see in planning our route before we get there is we have absolutely no idea where we'll be allowed to camp. There are 85 different units we could be placed in.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/map.htm
    "Without self-discovery, a person may still have self-confidence, but it is a self-confidence built on ignorance and it melts in the face of heavy burdens. Self-discovery is the end product of a great challenge mastered, when the mind commands the body to do the seemingly impossible, when strength and courage are summoned to extraordinary limits for the safe of something outside the self - a principle, an onerous task, another human life."

- Kurt Hahn

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images

update:

*Note: 2p and I met last night and looks like we may have reconsidered the drive and going for the round trip flight.

Yesterday, I gave the Denali NP office a call concerning the 85 diff units/sections mentioned above. The unit you are assigned is a crap shoot. Until you show-up, you just won't know.

Basically he said each unit is uniquely different from the others. Each may have a few or several of the following. low & high altitude, mountains, glacier & snow fields, spruce forests, boggs, swamps, vast tundra, river crossings, boulder fields, etc, He suggested we come prepared to deal with them all.

Most times you will have to pack through one or more of the units to reach your unit. Sometimes this may take 1-3 days. It's VAST!

He said extra gear can be left at the Park office.

..............Nothing worthwhile is easy. This will be crazy cool.

*Note: 2p and I met last night and looks like we may have reconsidered the drive and going for the round trip flight.

Yesterday, I gave the Denali NP office a call concerning the 85 diff units/sections mentioned above. The unit you are assigned is a crap shoot. Until you show-up, you just won't know.

Basically he said each unit is uniquely different from the others. Each may have a few or several of the following. low & high altitude, mountains, glacier & snow fields, spruce forests, boggs, swamps, vast tundra, river crossings, boulder fields, etc, He suggested we come prepared to deal with them all.

Most times you will have to pack through one or more of the units to reach your unit. Sometimes this may take 1-3 days. It's VAST!

We still need to decide on a unit(s) we like in case we do get a choice, but yeah, pretty much we have to be ready for anything. Btw, did you see Jack Hanna got attacked by a bear??

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6720870.shtml
    "Without self-discovery, a person may still have self-confidence, but it is a self-confidence built on ignorance and it melts in the face of heavy burdens. Self-discovery is the end product of a great challenge mastered, when the mind commands the body to do the seemingly impossible, when strength and courage are summoned to extraordinary limits for the safe of something outside the self - a principle, an onerous task, another human life."

- Kurt Hahn

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    I saw that.

A 150lb. yearling separated from a Sow and another yearling charged him on a trail. He took 3 shots at him with Bear spray. Finally got him at 10' away. Yearling took off. He said he was more worried that the yearling would alert the sow. If that happened we may be reading a different ending.

Sometimes you have to fight for your life. Here is a instructional video that I sent 2p to study for the trip:

Youtube disabled? I can't see the vid.

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnIVgq06sFA

Images

I would plan on the ground but have a hammock with me. Maybe one you can also use as a bivy? Again, here is the thing about those Spruce Forests: it might be Black Spruce, very common there, which resembles a pipe cleaner about to fall over ( "drunken forest"). One of the few things trees that will grow on the permafrost. And those areas were also very often that extremely dense forest I mentioned, though maybe I saw this more in the Yukon than Denali? So dense that walking, much less hanging, would be tricky without a little Machete work. Which I'm sure would be frowned on in Denali!

I did a day hike out of Skagway, followed by a river raft trip. There were plenty of good trees in that area, but again, mostly extremely DENSE! I did manage to see a few spots good for hammocks, but a lot more that would have been very hard to hang in, despite many good trees. But that area also had no Tundra, which is plentiful in Denali.

It's going to be a great adventure!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123