Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images

getting comfortable with the pad..

i have been using ww ccf pads and am getting iritated by the itchiness that i get from them and sweat. I am considering using a silk top to counteract this but i am wondering if any one has a pad that they think is very comfortable as it is, even with out wearing a top.

Images
    sew or glue breathable ripstop to the pad. i like it on both sides. much more comfy

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    i have been using ww ccf pads and am getting iritated by the itchiness that i get from them and sweat. I am considering using a silk top to counteract this but i am wondering if any one has a pad that they think is very comfortable as it is, even with out wearing a top.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    defineately been thinking about that.. can you just hand-sew it on? I have been thinking about doing the same with a silk sheet

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    sew or glue breathable ripstop to the pad. i like it on both sides. much more comfy
    Curious....do you just glue it around the edges or slather it on the entire pad? I've had some minor condensation issues. Also, why do both sides? Wouldn't putting nylon on the underside of the pad make it more slippery?

Miguel

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post

Since you are apparently prone to back sweats, You will always have this issue.... cover it in absorbant material and it will become sweat soaked.... and on a long section, get ready for the stink..... I may be biased ....but believe me I went through this process in 2003 on a 650 section hike.... later I tried 18 different pad, fleece, poncho liner and mylar alternatives in all shapes....before going to UQs... There is a reason that breathable and external bottom insulation work for those who sweat.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    A material that has always interested me and would make a great pad sleeve is the "brushed knit Nylon plus tough stretchy urethane film" fabric that Stephenson's Warmlite uses on their sleeping bags:

The website says:
    The bottom interior is FUZZY STUFF, a very comfortable brushed knit Nylon plus tough stretchy urethane film. It wears much better than coated fabric, is best for comfortable long life sleeping bag inside bottom, VB sox, glove liners and clothes. The surface feels like soft flannel, but wicks sweat across it’s surface even faster for rapid drying and comfort
    Kinda heavy at 2.2oz per yard but you wouldn't need that much to cover a pad and you could use lighter 1.1oz on the back of the pad to save weight. It's only like $8 a yard an I would say that a yard would cover the pad, or at least the top section you lay on.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

From the start, I clipped a light fleece throw (Campmor, ~$12 and 13oz) to my Oware pad to prevent condensation. It's an idea I got from Sgt Rock's site and it appears to work. But in this relatively low humidity region I don't seem to get much condensation without the fleece either.

Since I don't think there's much insulative value in the throw and it and the clips add a whopping 14oz to the system I don't use it much any more. I do have some ideas to cut it to a smaller size but for now I'm leaving it at home.

As a minimum, I sleep in SmartWool long underwear and they seem to take care of condensation/sweat issues. But then, this is the arid Rocky Mountain West...

FB

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    yeah, i believe if i change my sleeping clothes the problem wont be a big issue. Over the summer i would camp wearing synthetic shirts, which did fine, but its my polypro thermal top thats been giving problems now. I am thinking of getting a silk top, or maybe a silk sheet from somewhere like campmor. plus, i got a short big agnes insulated air core pad on the way...

getting comfortable with the pad..
    in a hammock is, IMHO, not possible.
    Its cheap and leightweight, but outside this, it has not much value for me.
    The advantage of a hammock is that it curves and conforms to the shape of the back and thats what a pad will never do.
    I´d rather buy a cheap (preferably rectangle) synthetic filled sleeping bag, cut off along the long sides to get it down to 48-50" width to reduce its bulk and pay someone to re-sew the edges.
    Then poke holes into the fabric at the four corners. Then a bit of shoelace throught the holes and with some shockcord and carabiners I have something comfortable to sleep in.
    OK, it would be easily one pound heavier, but what is a lightweight sleeping item worth if it doesnt provide a good nights sleep.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oetzi View Post
    Then poke holes into the fabric at the four corners
    Walmart sells a grommet making kit for $5 - better than just poking holes.

I wonder if a child's bag would work without the need to cut and sew

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast