Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips

Foothills Trail; "BugBait's" 1st trip

FHT: Burrells Ford – Upper Whitewater Falls
    7/22/10 -7/24/10

After years of backpacking with friends and work (former outdoor counselor for a juvenile facility) this backpacking trip was one that I had really been looking forward to for several years. Just a short 15 mile section on the Foothills Trail but it wasn’t the location that had me excited for this trip. Two friends were joining me as well, Jim (SmashHeel) and Rick (TP) but I had been hiking with them before. What made this trip special from any other was my 10 year old daughter Emma was joining me for her first backpacking trip. We had done a few hangs in the backyard previously but she was ready to try the trail. I had very little concerns about her physical condition and keeping pace with dad as she has spent the last few years in gymnastics and I can assure you she is in much better shape than I.

Friday afternoon, Emma, Rick, and I left Columbia, SC and headed for the trail. We met “SmashHeel” at Burrell’s Ford Road where he jumped in our van and we proceeded to Fish Hatchery Road and began the 3.9 mile downhill hike back to Burrell’s Ford Road with just small daypacks with snacks and water. The hike was a good lead into what was to come as Emma learned it was important to watch the trail and where she stepped. She was fascinated with every critter we came across and each occurrence warranted a 30 second timeout to stop and investigate, never mind that SmashHeel and I are on the larger side of the scale and our momentum doesn’t quite stop as fast as Emma’s does. Luckily for her, the domino effect did not occur. We used this hike to discuss the blazes on the trees, 1 blaze versus 2 blazes, why switchbacks are a good thing, and how to successfully negotiate blowdowns. Overall, Friday’s hike was a success. We camped that evening along the Chattooga River, swam in the river for a bit, grilled hamburgers, and eventually made the ever-so-popular Smores, which brought TP out of his hammock to create his own.

Saturday entailed the fun-filled event of breaking camp where Emma scoured for any critter and Dad did the packing. We ate breakfast at the vehicles and headed to Bad Creek Access to leave our van at the end of our hike, jumped in SmashHeel’s truck and headed to Fish Hatchery Road to begin the rest of our adventure. We took a few pictures at the trailhead and started down the trail. Our agenda was to hike 3.3 miles to Sloan Bridge, fill up with water and eat lunch at the roadside picnic area. Emma was very hesitant to cross over the trail bridges but soon learned that they could be trusted and needed to be negotiated with a little balance and common sense.

Upon our arrival to Sloan Bridge, we met two hikers heading in the opposite direction. One of them seemed to be having difficulties with her foot and they were ending their several day trip there. They reported to us that the condition of the trail between Upper Whitewater Falls and Bad Creek Access was filled with boulders, some big enough that it required the removal of packs and scaling the boulders. Not exactly what I had intended for Emma’s first trip. After some serious consideration, we opted to move our take-out point to the parking area at Upper Whitewater Falls reducing our trip by 2.3 miles and stopping before the boulder jungle. It was during this break that I realized and told Emma that I had forgotten to pack her lunch and part of our dinner while packing up that morning. It was in the van, in a cooler, but Dad just plain out forgot to grab them, my bad. However, let it be known, what 10 year old kid goes out on adventure like this without their 10 lb bag of snacks and candy? It was this opportunity I used to explain to Emma that those 2 hikers were her “Trail Angels” because SmashHeel hitched a ride back to get his truck so that we could relocate the van and at the same time, grab our forgotten food. Guessing that was also a little “Trail Magic” for me not having to deal with a disappointed daughter as well.

After moving our vehicles, we left Sloan Bridge and headed for our campsite on top of Round Mountain. This would be the first true test for Emma as most of this hike was uphill, not too steep, but the 2.5 miles and primarily uphill was my concern. An hour and 45 minutes later we arrived at our camp to find TP resting in his hammock complaining about that last hike being terrible. Emma looks back at me and says “I thought that section was better than the downhill hike we did earlier.” Check mark ! Emma prefers the uphill hiking over downhill. We get camp set up just in time to avoid the first of several small rain showers and Emma decides its time to investigate the critters. Snails, millipedes, butterflies, slugs . . . she found everyone of them. Dinner that night was the pre-trip highlight for Emma. Friends from gymnastics, who are also in Girl Scouts, told her about “Walking Tacos”. Doritos, taco meat, cheese all mixed in the bag. After re-hydrating our taco meat, I hand Emma her bag-o-dinner and within seconds she is disappointed, ughhh ! I turn to look and her Doritos bag had busted out the bottom and her dinner was on the ground. I offered Emma to share my soft tacos with me but she was having none of that. She proceeded to scoop up what she could that was not touching the ground and she ate her dinner. The joke from there was she was trying to bring her critter friends to her so she wouldn’t have to go looking for them. It was that moment I was most proud, she had finally earned her trailname, “BugBait”. After explaining the animal consequences of her food explosion, we collected what we could and disposed of the spilled food in the fire pit. As our tiredness grew, we decided to retire to our hammocks a little early and watched dusk turn to night. It was a GREAT DAY !

Sunday morning begins the usual routine of breakfast and Dad packing up camp. BugBait pitches in and helps and we are soon headed out of our campsite heading to our final destination, HWY 281. Within the first half mile of our hike, BugBait is doing so well watching the ground as I told her so she doesn’t trip, she unexpectedly catches a cut branch to her forehead and has now achieved her first trail injury. SmashHeel and I look her over, it’s a minor scratch with a little bleeding but we get her cleaned up and celebrate her latest first accomplishment, everybody is happy once again and we are off and hiking. AN hour later we are at our van. Excitement is brewing knowing that we are just moments away from sitting down in the air-conditioned environment of our favorite mexican restaurant in Greenville.

We all had a great time and BugBait is looking forward to her next trip. My next special moment is lingering in the future . . . BugBait’s younger sister, Lila (7), is asking when she can go. My “Holy Grail” moment will come when momma, BugBait, Lila, and I accomplish our first backpacking trip together as a family. I’m thinking that might be a Grayson Highlands adventure. Life’s great moments just seem to be so plentiful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Muskrat; 07-27-2010 at 18:44.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Fantastic! Thanks for posting and sharing the adventure ... cute little hiking partner you now have! Great trail name ... Bugbait ... wear it with pride!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Gonna have to agree with her on downhill sections.

My feet are either oddly shaped or sized or my boots don't fit correctly. On downhill's, they always end up jammed up in the front of the bus. Gets to be very uncomfortable after a while. At least with uphills I can stop as often as I need to rest my knees.

My issue with shoes is also why I want a pair of five-fingers.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    FHT: Burrells Ford – Upper Whitewater Falls
    7/22/10 -7/24/10

After years of backpacking with friends and work (former outdoor counselor for a juvenile facility) this backpacking trip was one that I had really been looking forward to for several years. Just a short 15 mile section on the Foothills Trail but it wasn’t the location that had me excited for this trip. Two friends were joining me as well, Jim (SmashHeel) and Rick (TP) but I had been hiking with them before. What made this trip special from any other was my 10 year old daughter Emma was joining me for her first backpacking trip. We had done a few hangs in the backyard previously but she was ready to try the trail. I had very little concerns about her physical condition and keeping pace with dad as she has spent the last few years in gymnastics and I can assure you she is in much better shape than I.

Friday afternoon, Emma, Rick, and I left Columbia, SC and headed for the trail. We met “SmashHeel” at Burrell’s Ford Road where he jumped in our van and we proceeded to Fish Hatchery Road and began the 3.9 mile downhill hike back to Burrell’s Ford Road with just small daypacks with snacks and water. The hike was a good lead into what was to come as Emma learned it was important to watch the trail and where she stepped. She was fascinated with every critter we came across and each occurrence warranted a 30 second timeout to stop and investigate, never mind that SmashHeel and I are on the larger side of the scale and our momentum doesn’t quite stop as fast as Emma’s does. Luckily for her, the domino effect did not occur. We used this hike to discuss the blazes on the trees, 1 blaze versus 2 blazes, why switchbacks are a good thing, and how to successfully negotiate blowdowns. Overall, Friday’s hike was a success. We camped that evening along the Chattooga River, swam in the river for a bit, grilled hamburgers, and eventually made the ever-so-popular Smores, which brought TP out of his hammock to create his own.

Saturday entailed the fun-filled event of breaking camp where Emma scoured for any critter and Dad did the packing. We ate breakfast at the vehicles and headed to Bad Creek Access to leave our van at the end of our hike, jumped in SmashHeel’s truck and headed to Fish Hatchery Road to begin the rest of our adventure. We took a few pictures at the trailhead and started down the trail. Our agenda was to hike 3.3 miles to Sloan Bridge, fill up with water and eat lunch at the roadside picnic area. Emma was very hesitant to cross over the trail bridges but soon learned that they could be trusted and needed to be negotiated with a little balance and common sense.

Upon our arrival to Sloan Bridge, we met two hikers heading in the opposite direction. One of them seemed to be having difficulties with her foot and they were ending their several day trip there. They reported to us that the condition of the trail between Upper Whitewater Falls and Bad Creek Access was filled with boulders, some big enough that it required the removal of packs and scaling the boulders. Not exactly what I had intended for Emma’s first trip. After some serious consideration, we opted to move our take-out point to the parking area at Upper Whitewater Falls reducing our trip by 2.3 miles and stopping before the boulder jungle. It was during this break that I realized and told Emma that I had forgotten to pack her lunch and part of our dinner while packing up that morning. It was in the van, in a cooler, but Dad just plain out forgot to grab them, my bad. However, let it be known, what 10 year old kid goes out on adventure like this without their 10 lb bag of snacks and candy? It was this opportunity I used to explain to Emma that those 2 hikers were her “Trail Angels” because SmashHeel hitched a ride back to get his truck so that we could relocate the van and at the same time, grab our forgotten food. Guessing that was also a little “Trail Magic” for me not having to deal with a disappointed daughter as well.

After moving our vehicles, we left Sloan Bridge and headed for our campsite on top of Round Mountain. This would be the first true test for Emma as most of this hike was uphill, not too steep, but the 2.5 miles and primarily uphill was my concern. An hour and 45 minutes later we arrived at our camp to find TP resting in his hammock complaining about that last hike being terrible. Emma looks back at me and says “I thought that section was better than the downhill hike we did earlier.” Check mark ! Emma prefers the uphill hiking over downhill. We get camp set up just in time to avoid the first of several small rain showers and Emma decides its time to investigate the critters. Snails, millipedes, butterflies, slugs . . . she found everyone of them. Dinner that night was the pre-trip highlight for Emma. Friends from gymnastics, who are also in Girl Scouts, told her about “Walking Tacos”. Doritos, taco meat, cheese all mixed in the bag. After re-hydrating our taco meat, I hand Emma her bag-o-dinner and within seconds she is disappointed, ughhh ! I turn to look and her Doritos bag had busted out the bottom and her dinner was on the ground. I offered Emma to share my soft tacos with me but she was having none of that. She proceeded to scoop up what she could that was not touching the ground and she ate her dinner. The joke from there was she was trying to bring her critter friends to her so she wouldn’t have to go looking for them. It was that moment I was most proud, she had finally earned her trailname, “BugBait”. After explaining the animal consequences of her food explosion, we collected what we could and disposed of the spilled food in the fire pit. As out tiredness grew, we decided to retire to our hammocks a little early and watched dusk turn to night. It was a GREAT DAY !

Sunday morning begins the usual routine of breakfast and Dad packing up camp. BugBait pitches in and helps and we are soon headed out of our campsite heading to our final destination, HWY 281. Within the first half mile of our hike, BugBait is doing so well watching the ground as I told her so she doesn’t trip, she unexpectedly catches a cut branch to her forehead and has now achieved her first trail injury. SmashHeel and I look her over, it’s a minor scratch with a little bleeding but we get her cleaned up and celebrate her latest first accomplishment, everybody is happy once again and we are off and hiking. AN hour later we are at our van. Excitement is brewing knowing that we are just moments away from sitting down in the air-conditioned environment of our favorite mexican restaurant in Greenville.

We all had a great time and BugBait is looking forward to her next trip. My next special moment is lingering in the future . . . BugBait’s younger sister, Lila (7), is asking when she can go. My “Holy Grail” moment will come when momma, BugBait, Lila, and I accomplish our first backpacking trip together as a family. I’m thinking that might be a Grayson Highlands adventure. Life’s great moments just seem to be so plentiful.

Nice report...

Expect confusion for your daughter as there is already a Bug-Bait on the forum.

pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip

It was a blast!

Glad I was there for her first trip!
    Glad you were there for my last trip in July or August!
    WFR aka SmashHeel

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Nice report...

Expect confusion for your daughter as there is already a Bug-Bait on the forum.

pan
    Yeah, we noticed Bug-Bait's name when we got home . She was somewhat bummed but we decided to spell it different, all 1 word .

Quote Originally Posted by WFR View Post
    Glad I was there for her first trip!
    Glad you were there for my last trip in July or August!
    WFR aka SmashHeel
    She was glad you were there as well. Tried to avoid the "heat" related topics and next time "we" go out in July we need to drive a little farther NORTH !
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Muskrat, I'm sitting here having my morning coffee, and smiling at your trip trport. I love it when my day starts this way! Your daughter has a great smile, and a great dad, and her very own "trail angels". What more could a 10 year old want?

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    What a great trip!
    When you said you had camped on the Chatooga and grilled hamburgers, I was wishing I was there. IMO, you picked a perfect spot for Emma's first trip. She'll be hooked for life now.
    Good luck getting the rest of the family.
    If Mom's not real keen on the idea, I would suggest starting her out at Jones Gap. Campsites 6 and 7 are secluded, but still within walking distance to the car and bathhouse.

Thanks for sharing
    swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for sharing your trip experience! Even better, Bugbait had a positive first trip (it would seem) so the likelihood of more is good! Time with Dad is great!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Awesome trip, and report! There is nothing better than doing 'firsts' with your kids, especially when you are introducing them to something you love!

Welcome to the trails and trees to Bugbait! You have a great dad, and many new friends you haven't yet met!

Made two hikes with my youngest daughter so far - now to get her on an overnight!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast