BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    the bolt may not have been the reason the other tree died. Out in the woods is a totally different issue.
    yep, I agree!! Or it could have been what did kill that tree. That tree was smaller, maybe the larger tree was able to repair itself better. I really don't know, I'm no tree expert.
    I just think that if we're trying to teach people how to hang and if they see a bolt in "our" trees and we're sort of looked at as "professional" hangers, that even if they don't ask about that bolt, they tend to repeat what they saw. From my experience alone, I never even thought about those bolts in the oak trees, I just thought that that was the way to hang a hammock. I never gave it a second thought either until I started using a "camping" hammock. I just think now, that hammock companys should try to enlighten people that buy their hammocks and not just include those metal bolts or directions saying things like, just an easy hook up to your eye bolt.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I finally got a chance to see the article. If you haven't seen it you need to check it out. He does recommend removable tree traps. That's his first suggestion on the suspension. He adds that bolts are another option and "cheaper". He also mentions stands. The illustration for the article uses straps. The article is focused at the backyard hanger. He recommends _only_ spreader bar hammocks. In fact he says non-spreader bar hammocks are hard to use and don't fit with the BBQ culture very well. I intentionally looked it up on the magazine rack in the grocery store since I had time before my daughter got out of classes.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    One of my ideas is to creat a hammock that will use either trekking poles, a stick, or some kind of tie out method to create the spreader bar effect, those kind of hammocks have always been my favorite and i am determined to replicate them in an ultralight hammock version for myself. I don't mean just a bridge either, i mean like as much spread as one of those massive ones.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I gave up on PM years ago, seems like all they do is sell ads and then write stories about the advertisers (see the spring boat issue!). Have to comment on the bolt in tree, the trees can survive this, the biggest problem comes if you ever want to harvest said tree. Some sawyer will be asking you to buy them a new blade! Most sawmills won't take backyard trees for this reason.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

"..fit with the BBQ culture ..." ?????

Does that imply that a spreader bar hammock is needed for drinking beer and falling asleep?

Just askin'.

Jim

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Not so sure eye bolts are a bad idea, at least stainless steel eye bolts. I've seen trees killed by rope wrapped around them too often. I think before we condemn it, somebody should figure out a way to test eye bolts vs wrap around straps. At one shelter on the Florida Trail there are a couple trees with stainless steel eye bolts and those trees look better than most of the trees used for hanging hammocks a lot.

Images

40 years ago

when i read Popular Mechanic in the "60's they said i would be flying to work in my car, vacationing on Mars or living under the ocean, but instead they are putting eye bolts in trees. just makes me laugh.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12