MLD Cuben Hex CTRL
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    1/8 Whoopie Slings
    Images

Ohio Adventurer Seeking Hanging Teacher

Hi All,
    Avid Backpacker & Touring Kayaker here who gets out as much as possible wherever possible. I plan 5-6 long trips every year. Always try to go somewhere new each year. This year, so far it looks like 7 days in Boundary Waters for my fall trip.

Let me say that I love the forums here -- A lot of good information can be found here if one is willing to look for it. Every day I read and learn a bit more. The biggest learning curve is the ability to tie goos knots from what I can gather. Aside from that most everything else is pretty easy. I’ve received a lot of PM’s from some very helpful members!

That said, I just purchased my first backpacking hammock just to keep my options open. Marc & Ike Thanks for the offers! The hammocks have not even arrived yet, but I'm going to give it a shot -- Not saying I'll give up the ground forever as some of my trips are above the tree-line. So I don't see my trekking poles working very well as tree replacements. But I will try it out for a few trip and see how it goes. I have a summer yeti UQ and plan to use my Montbell sleeping bags the top as of now.

I’m continuously trying to “lighten my load” when backpacking -- due to my weight, my options are very limited when it comes to a hammock. I'm not a gram weenie... not yet. Right now the hammock I just purchased weights more than my SMD Wild Oasis (15 ounces vs 24 & 38 ounces). But I can honestly tell you I’ve never had a good night’s sleep in the woods. I've always had to physically exert myself in order to sleep well. So for a few extra ounces I am hoping a hammock will cure that. Only time will tell.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Welcome off the ground, woo hoo!

Yea, counting my: new Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter pro, Whoopie slings & straps, Dutch clips, 13.5' X 10' Tarp & stakes, my 'House" weighs just a tad under 5 lbs.

My Nomad Tent & CCF Pad = just under 2.75 Lbs. 3 Lbs when I carry the ground cloth.

Theoretically I could 'loose" just under 3 Lbs by ditching the ski poles, which I absolutely need to set up the Nomad but don't for the hammock.

So, the hammock is about 1.25 lbs heavier than the tent, AND add the 22 Oz underquilt, , , , , ,

Even if I found a 1 Oz tent AND pad I would not go to ground to save weight. For me, sleeping on the ground makes any thing I do the next day 20 times harder, so it just aint worth it.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

I just talked to a buddy of mine who backpacked, hiked, kayaked, and biked all the way across the South Island of New Zealand. He said that was quite a trip. I dont know where you live or exactly how adventurous you are, but if you are an avid backpacker, I (vicariously through my friend) highly recommend it as a possibility.

What are all the places you have gone?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the trees you will never regret leaving the ground.
    Terry

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I do a lot of paddling and hanging. Hmmmm, sounds like an S&M site.

Canoeing and hammocking is what I do. Love the mix. You will really appreciate a good night of sleep after a day of paddling or hiking. Welcome and enjoy.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts