Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sawyers brand is available through rei, dicks, etc

Tractor supply has permethrin 10 ( higher percentage than sawyers - I used 19 parts water to 1 part permethrin 10 for soaking/spraying ).

Hammock
    Haven Tent
    Tarp
    Walmart blue tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DIY straps.
    Images
    I've heard that ants won't climb across white paint--I've seen trees in Texas and Mexico painted white a foot or two near the base, and I think it was to prevent ants getting up into the fruit. This might be preferable to toxic insecticide, if it works.

A quick check tells me it's not white paint, but calcium hydroxide, which burns the bugs, and will burn your fingers too, so maybe not so great an idea. Oh well.

http://www.travelexpertguide.org/for...ite-332022.htm

Nat

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    Tractor supply has permethrin 10 ( higher percentage than sawyers - I used 19 parts water to 1 part permethrin 10 for soaking/spraying ).
    Exactly what I did. $5.99 for an 8oz. bottle. Made enough to treat gear for my 2 sons & myself. I think it worked out to 1.2 gallons of water to one 8oz. bottle of Permethrin 10, but PLEASE double check for yourself.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Exactly what I did. $5.99 for an 8oz. bottle. Made enough to treat gear for my 2 sons & myself. I think it worked out to 1.2 gallons of water to one 8oz. bottle of Permethrin 10, but PLEASE double check for yourself.
    That fits the 19:1 ratio to get 10% down to 0.5%. I have read where people use higher percentages to treat their gear, but since sawyers is 0.5% - that's what I used.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Awright, you guys have my paranoids running amok, and my skin crawling. Home isn't even in "far ant" country. Where did the Permanone can get put? Squirt the rigging too! Squirt everything! Must say, its gratifying laying in the hammock watching the skeets trying to get at my tender meat. That is, till some of you talked me into squirting permethrin on the net.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I grew up living with those things in S. Georgia. I was told to keep them from crawling up a hoe or shovel handle, put talcum powder on it. Never tried it myself.
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Thank goodness we do not have them in my neck of the woods.
    Terry

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Can't find anybody selling it (Permethrin) around here. Going to have to order it online. Couple of places tried to tell me that is was dangerous and was had been banned. Got a good laugh on that and set them straight.
    For those looking for a local supplier, try your local feed and seed place. Ask them for horse dip. They will usually have something that the only active ingredient is Permethrin.

Permrethrin does kill fire ants and keeps them away. In fact that is why it is so good. Not only does it discourage all small insects, but any like ants and ticks that crawl over it will die. Before becoming a hanger I have had to spray a ring around my tent on the ground to keep ants away. I am pretty sure Georgia is the ultimate fire ant place.

BTW the white ring painted around pecan trees here in the south is to keep elephants away. It really works. We have no elephant infestations in sought Georgia.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muttly View Post
    I grew up living with those things in S. Georgia. I was told to keep them from crawling up a hoe or shovel handle, put talcum powder on it. Never tried it myself.
    hmmm...another thing that works on all ants, is Diatamatious earth. Like they use in pool filters. The local farmers feed store is into natural stuff and sells it. The stuff is super fine coral like stuff. It gets into their joints and they RUN AWAY! won't work on hammocks, but you could have some small amount and if you were car camping, spread it around.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast