Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    It is nice to have lots of great options out there. If the comparison is between the Supershelter w/OCF pad and the AHE quilt, the weights (and volumes) are pretty similar and the Hennessy costs a lot more.

Insultex is definitely interesting, and I have an IX underquilt that I've taken out several times this summer. The potential weight savings is very attractive to a gram counter like me. The IX has been more difficult to adjust correctly (and stay adjusted), and based on my experience I would not trust a double layer IX to keep me warm much below 50 degrees. But that's just me. Other folks have had better luck at colder temps. Pushing down into the 40's I would rather have some real insulation under me and not depend on that air pocket to stay formed. The IX underquilts I've seen for sale lately go for around $70, so you do save a little bit of money over the $85 AHE synthetic underquilt.
    While I still thought it was great considering the weight, I had not been able to reach the temps that some have with 2 layers of IX alone. Your rating sounds about similar to my experience so far, but I had very little time to test before it got to warm. I am fairly convinced that my inability to approach freezing with 2 layers is more related to fit and air space issues than it does to the IX's abilities. I think I could get a good bit additional boost using it inside a HHSS undercover, and what would be really neat is using even one layer under the SS pad inside the UC.

As the HH Super Shelter has been mentioned, let me add I have had no trouble doing the 30s with it(space blanket,under pad and undercover). With just a few tricks and additions( fleece jackets or down vests), I have been warm into the teens. It's best feature is the additional built in wind/rain protection. I'm looking forward to adding some IX to it!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ....I had not been able to reach the temps that some have with 2 layers of IX alone. .....I think I could get a good bit additional boost using it inside a HHSS undercover, and what would be really neat is using even one layer under the SS pad inside the UC.....
    AaaH now I know why my results were typically better than some of you who have used the MAC IX with your HH. You're not using the IX inside the SS undercover!! I never hung the IX by itself on the outside of the hammock. Mac made the pads to be placed inside the SS undercover and that's how I used it. The undercover keeps the IX where it needs to be just like it does with the SS pad and yes you can absolutely use the IX and the SS pad together. As far as weight goes if used all together (2 layers of IX, SS pad & SS undercover) you would be hovering at roughly 1lb. So no weight savings compared to a 30 degree synthetic underquilt.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Liv2Ride View Post
    As far as weight goes if used all together (2 layers of IX, SS pad & SS undercover) you would be hovering at roughly 1lb. So no weight savings compared to a 30 degree synthetic underquilt.
    However, if all used together, with the IX between the SS OCF pad and the SS UC, it should be good for temps in the teens or lower!

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Unless I am mistaken, 2 layers of IX, SS pad & SS undercover would add up to 24 ounces or 1.5 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Liv2Ride View Post
    As far as weight goes if used all together (2 layers of IX, SS pad & SS undercover) you would be hovering at roughly 1lb. So no weight savings compared to a 30 degree synthetic underquilt.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, 2 layers of IX, SS pad & SS undercover would add up to 24 ounces or 1.5 lbs.
    I believe that is correct, plus a few more oz for Explorer sized SS. I am with MacEntyre for EXPECTATIONS of combining full SS and 2 layers IX. I would expect at least the teens.

But I think a person would be missing one of the advantages of the SS if you don't boost it (when needed) with clothing. If you have clothing that is not required as part of your top sleep system, placing it in the HHSS UC can give a major warmth boost. With a down vest and fleece jacket alone, below the OCF pad, I have been plenty warm into the teens.

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from also adding some IX to the above. If you really want to be toasty.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-19-2010 at 14:59.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have Mac's IX UQ. I use it with the HH Explorer Deluxe. So far, it served me well on a trip into Wenatchee National Forest. The temps were cooler than seasonal, with some wicked thunderstorms at night. The temp definitely got down to just above 50 deg F. I was toasty. Really toasty. I am sure that the UQ could have carried me comfortably down into the 30's on its own.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12