Heya guys,

Just yesterday I somehow figured it would be fun to make my own hammock. And since i'm a bit of the crafty type I do not wat to just pull some rags together but actually knot it from a spool (or two) of twine.

Now i've done some searching but found no real guidance on doing this kind of thing so here I am. I have a few questions about knotting a hammock before I start and hope you could help me out on the following:

1: I plan on using 2mm Polypropylene twine with a breaking strength of 70 kilos, would this be a good idea? (maybe the rope is to thick and the knots will hurt, maybe it's to thin and breaks?)

2: I have knotted some (very) small stuff years ago using a knot that I also found in some hammock knotting arcticles, called the "square knot". I suspect that it will do fine but I'd be more confident if that's confirmed by someone who actually knows what he's doing ;)

3: What kind of dimentions should I use to make my hammock comfortable yet not too large (I'm the one knotting it after all) So far I figured specs like below will do:
- 2m long
- 1m wide
- knots every 5cm
- resulting in about 50 cords wide
- cords twice the hammock length to compensate knots and leave some slack.

4: How much can I reduce the amount of work involved without sacrificing comfort? As in spacing the knots further apart, using less strands of twine, making the whole thing smaller, using easier knots or weaving, etc.

The result I'm aiming for looks a little like what this guy made, just much smaller. What do you think, would it work out? What needs to change about my plans?

Thanks for any advice,

Schop.