Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    I've tried tying that knot with the support ropes for the Clark hammock and it still slips.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    Well, I am not an Eagle Scout, so I had to look it up. Here is what i found: http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Tautline.html And guess what? This is not a Taught line hitch. It is one of the variants of it known simply as an adjustable hitch.

I am not knocking the BSA or your achievemants. The BSA is a fine organization and becoming an Eagle Scout is wicked cool. I'm just a knot freak who has too much time on his hands.

Well that sucks. Nope, that post isn't knocking down BSA. They just screwed up and taught us a knot with the wrong name. Knot tying didn't make me an Eagle, so that doesn't bother me a bit that I was wrong. Now I'm gonna go try the real taut line. I always loved the taut line (BSA version) but hated it's weight limitations. Glad to know there is a knot with the same ease to tie, but without the weakness.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I tried the rolling hitch with the stock rope on a HH explorer and worked very well. I tried it on some 7/64 covered spectra on my DIY hammock and it did not work. I think it takes a larger diameter with a cover that grips for it to work.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

not on 2.8mm Spyderline either

Tonight I observed that with 2.8mm Spyderline, the rolling hitch doesn't hold under body weight tension. That's a pity. It would be nice to be able to leave a sliding adjustment knot in place, and save the weight of rings/buckles/carbiners.

Grizz

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The key to preventing slip is to jam each turn behind the previous turn, locking them behind one another. Done right, it will actually make a kink in the line where the turns roll back on one another. It won't slip through that kink.

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    bowlines can become knife knots... if a tautline hitch slips, try a stopper knot.
    I tie a bight in the last pass through the loop, leaving enough loose to wrap around my hand. When I back off tension on the line and give the loose end a yank, I have never had one stick.

It's worth noting that I tie 2 bowlines and have a pulley tightening system that can be easily slackened.

Images
    off the subject a little, but i have recently switched to the 1" owf polyester camo webbing for my tree straps. i have always tied a variation of the sheetbend as i had broblems with the single sometimes letting a bit of rope(inch or two) slip through the knot when in use. with the new webbing, the single sheetbend hasn't slipped. this is great news b/c it takes much less time to tie than my variation or a double sheetbend. the single with a bight takes about as much time to tie as it does to pull the slack and pop the bight.

one handed bowline

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    One site for sailors suggested its use in the one place I know for sure I wouldn't want the possibility of slipping---looped around a human being hoisted up from the water. Admittedly, if I'm the human in the water tying the knot, my chances of getting the knot done properly before drowning is higher with the tautline than with the bowline.
    Well while we're off topic... you can tie a bowline one handed, which makes it the perfect knot when dangling from a rope. it's about all I remember from BSA. This video shows how it's done:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/EDX7AMVSEREWP86NX8/

just imagine video is upside down and your left hand is holding your weight off camera. wrap the end of the line around your back, then tie the knot as shown with your right hand. you can then release the rope with your left hand.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiden View Post
    Well while we're off topic... you can tie a bowline one handed, which makes it the perfect knot when dangling from a rope. it's about all I remember from BSA. This video shows how it's done:

just imagine video is upside down and your left hand is holding your weight off camera. wrap the end of the line around your back, then tie the knot as shown with your right hand. you can then release the rope with your left hand.
    hey that's neat! I have a full day of stupifying meeting tomorrow, presentations to a bunch of people we're trying to get to fund us. Maybe I'll bring a length of cord, sit at the back, and practice. While the donors-to-be aren't looking.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiden View Post

In technical terrain rescue they taught us how to tie the "Rescue Knot" which is this method of tying the Bowline. They also told us to NEVER tie an unconscious person with a knot/hitch that is designed to slip (take up slack), like the Taught Line. If the loop were to slip down on the peson it could cause considerable harm, and depending on the terain and duration of the lift, death or loss of limb. Which is why a rigid loop liket he Bowline is recommended.

However, when sailing solo a different piece of advice is given. It is common practice to leave a length of rope trailing behind your vessel in case you go overboard. It is easy to swim to the rope and belay yourself, let the boat drag you until she goes into irons (full stop headlong into the wind) and then use the rope to pull yourslef back to your boat. The recommended knot/hitch to use for this is the Midshipman's Hitch (Taught Line tied properly). Partly because the one handed Bowline (above) is very difficult to tie while there is tension on the rope (try pulling yourself up, with one hand, to gain slack) and partly because when done correctly the Midshipman's holds after just two wraps, easily.

So we have two knots used in to similar situations where we would normally think the same knot is adequate. But when thinking of life and limb it is easy to see why the knots are preferred for each particular task.

One, the person is either unconscience or has no way to self rescue, and a cinched loop could be deadly.

The other the person is conscience and the loop is easy to make, easy to hold and is temporary anyway.

I guess if I fell out of my boat while I was running the diesel engine I would tie the Bowline, it's gonna be a long time until she runs out of fuel
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast