Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to Hammocking. ENO Questions

I'm a newby to the Hammock world, and recently I have been looking into purchasing the ENO singlenest, as I want something different than my dads HH (He is new as well to Hammocks and has only used his HH once so far).

I have read all about the stretching on the Slap Straps, which I guess probably wouldn't be too much of a problem for me as I'm 5'8" and only 140 lbs. But I was browsing the forums and found the link to this site and found these and was wondering if this could be a possible setup? and which material would be best for stretch free. http://www.strapworks.com/Strapworks...ling_s/174.htm

Also what about a 550 cord setup? I know it's nylon so I'm guessing it would stretch a bit too?

Aside from that I had been looking around for a bugnet aside from the ENO gaurdian since it seems to be a heavier option, which doesn't fully matter to me since I'm not really a gram counting backpacker but the primary use will be backpacking. I guess any lightweight hammock-compatible net will do?

I figured I might just purchase the OneLink system for everything to try out and upgrade to a better tarp later. This way I get everything I need for a first time hammock use and then can better learn how to reduce the weight on it and further mod and whatnot to my preferences.

Anyways I was just wondering if this sounds like a good start to the hammock world?

Thanks!
    Very informational and helpful forum by the way!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I use the strapworks simple sling in 1" polyester seatbelt webbing on one of my hammocks and it works very well. You can just order a 20ft. sling and cut it in 2 equal lengths, searing the ends with a flame.

Having said that, I still occasionally use my ENO slapstraps. I just hang higher and try to calculate the stretch. Most of the time, I'm still in the air come morning time.

If I had to purchase one or the other, I'd reccommend the Strapworks Simple Sling (10.80 + shipping) over the ENO slapstraps ($19.95 + shipping).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Go for polyester. Polyester does not stretch the way nylon does. Polypropylene stretches a little but no as much as nylon. Most here will recommend against using paracord because it stretches and is not as strong as other cord that is available such as amsteel.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    diamond shelter
    Insulation
    3 in foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings/wb

Thumbs up re: eno first timer

jlegion,

you've got the right attitude approaching mods to the eno. i just went through the same dilemma after purchasing what i needed to use it that weekend. upon using it during a torrential down-pour i realized a few issues.

worry about your tarp, FIRST. and i would hesitate buying one from eno. you want side pull-outs, at least a 10x12 (since youre not worried about grams), top ties (to attach to your trunk line; this feature is critical on a tarp for two reasons: 1. rain collects on the trunk line and if your tarp is suspended over it, rain drips on your face (in the worst conditions) 2. this positions you securely tied at the middle of the tarp instead of shifting one direction or the other during wind AND top ties give you the ability to prusik knot each end of the middle of the tarp to your trunk line. This is important because most of the time you will likely use an A-frame and during a storm the head and foot of your hammock are most likely to see moisture first, whether it is because your tarp just isn't sitting in one position to cover or is just too short.

Netting really boils down to accessibility. you want to be able to unzip it or throw it to the side to get in it and you don't want to sleep with it on your face.

slap straps do stretch some, but the better argument against them is the lack of fine adjustability. With four loops for a heavy biner, this characteristic is one of the only NOT COOL things about the nest. 550 cord is not necessary.

oh and i like those strap works, i'm about to go see on two 5 ft. pieces for mine. the poly loops are the coolest about these, you don't need hardware. just knots.

WHOOPIE SLINGs. period.

Thank you all for the swift replies!

I figure I will definitely end up with the Strap Works polyester slings.

I have been looking into the MacCat tarps along with some other ultralite models I have found online, most that are in the 10x12 range running around the $110 mark.

I've got some ideas in my head on how I'm going to rig up my hammock. jlaw, that sounds really good! I will probably try that out, and experiment with any other ideas I have.

I managed to find this picture and it seems like a really easy way to set up.
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/...d6f0e00517.jpg
    I have one question about it though: does the orange rope serve to disperse water build up?
    I keep browsing the gallery for other mixes of ideas that I could try out as well.

I probably will switch to the whoopie slings down the road, they seem like a very lightweight, strong alternative to stock carabiners.

Thanks Again!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    My first big boy hammock was/is an ENO Double and I started w/ SlapStrap pros. Hammock was a good call, the SS pros was not. The problem with suspension stretch isn't just that you end up closer to the ground than you were when you started (though that can be an issue). The bigger problem is that the stretch can fool with the sag angle which can fool with your comfort level.

I switched to whoopie slings / tree huggers and have been much happier since. Forget 550 cord for suspension - it'll stretch and may very well fail on you. I'm also told to avoid the ENO tarps - not much tarp for the money - there are better options out there.

The Guardian is fine for what it is. You can remove the carry bag for quite a bit of weight savings. I've found the net to be a bit confining when deployed but your mileage may vary - I'm a bit claustrophobic apparently.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    550 is a no-go. It stretches... ALOT. Worse than the slapstraps. I'm 15, and at 125, my slapstraps still stretched like crazy. Any "poly" webbing .75" or more should satisfy your needs, and just to be safe- since you will be using them in different that "Lab-tested" uses,- I would make sure that each strap is rated for a little over your weight. Shouldn't be a problem, but, to be on the safe-side!
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

"There is no replacement for displacement" - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegion View Post
    I have one question about it though: does the orange rope serve to disperse water build up? ...
    Yeah it's a drip string to divert water from making its way down into your hammock.
    Last edited by Bubba; 07-29-2010 at 22:26.

Thanks!

I have one more question, I have seen this particular hammock on the ENO site and was wondering if this color scheme even exists anymore, because I like it alot.
    It's like a lime green body ENO with yellow trim:
    http://eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/g...hammockcumins1

It can't be the Rasta hammock because I found a picture of that one here:
    http://eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/g...oxy_hammocking

On second thought this looks like it could be the Rasta scheme as well, owell i'll quit hunting down the color scheme.
    http://eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/gallery/dryfly/c
    Last edited by JLegion; 07-29-2010 at 15:14.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    sounds like you got it all worked out atleast for starters
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real