Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammock Convert

Hammock Convert

Hello all,

Used my brand new Speer hammock in a "survival situation" this past weekend. It was my first night hammocking, ever! Hiking the Devil's Path in the Catskills in NY with a buddy of mine, I slipped on a rock with my pack on and broke my ankle. (I heard the "pop" in my boot.) It was getting dark, we were on very uneven terrain in a ravine and it was incredibly difficult to navigate the half mile or so with my injury. So...we set up the hammocks for the first time ever, hunkered down over the boulders, ate dinner and went to sleep. Unbelievably comfortable, quick and easy. There was no way we could have set up a tent or bivy there! We woke up refreshed and with the help of my hiking partner, I hobbled the two miles or so to an access road and ultimately drove to a hospital. My orthopedic surgery is scheduled for Thursday! I can't wait to heal up and get out there again and use my hammock. I am hooked, or should I say "hanged"?

NTSKIP

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntskip View Post
    ...I slipped on a rock with my pack on and broke my ankle...we set up the hammocks... Unbelievably comfortable, quick and easy...woke up refreshed...
    I'm glad you found comfort from your hammock. I'm not sure how you slept so soundly with the pain of a broken ankle, though, hammock or no.

Welcome to the forum.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

My first experience backpacking I almost severely and permanently injured my right leg. Unfortunately that was before I got into hammocks

Glad to know the whole experience wasn't a total loss. Hope it heals fast and your back out in the woods in a flash.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wow! That's a heck of a first post; welcome to the forum.

Images
    Welcome, and make sure you do lots of physiotherapy while healing... I broke my ankle about 18 months ago and I'm still "recovering".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    A hammock convert for life!

Congrats on your first use of hammock and I am really sorry to hear that you injured yourself. I hope everything heals up okay so you and your hammock can get back out on the trail. All the best and welcome to the forum.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Glad to know you made it out okay and had the foresight to stay put until the situation was better for you to move. I can't tell you how many stories I've heard and tragedies I've seen that would have ended much better if they would have done what you did.

However, now you have a lot of time to learn to sew all those DIY projects!

Godspeed on your recovery.

FWIW, speaking of survival, I jusr finished reading a book called Deep Survival it's not about how to survive but about the psychology of survival. Why some have it, why some don't and how you can get into the right "mindset" so you aren't your own worst enemy when the poo poo hits the fan. It's a good read.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

I wouldn't say I slept "soundly" but relatively comfortably, given the situation. It actually hurts more today than it did for the first few days...go figure. The way the hammock was hanging, I was able to elevate my foot overnight, reducing the swelling...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I'm glad you found comfort from your hammock. I'm not sure how you slept so soundly with the pain of a broken ankle, though, hammock or no.

Welcome to the forum.
    The hammock probably helped keep his ankle elevated. That would relieve some pain.

Oh and I broke my ankle 10yrs ago, and it still hurts, because I didn't do what Rapt did and follow his Doctor's advice.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    The hammock probably helped keep his ankle elevated. That would relieve some pain.

Oh and I broke my ankle 10yrs ago, and it still hurts, because I didn't do what Rapt did and follow his Doctor's advice.
    I agree about the natural elevation. I believe that's why my feet feel better after sleeping in my hammock compared to when I slept in a tent. I definitely feel the difference.

I broke my heel years ago...that equates to a lifetime of pain...especially when carrying 35 lbs on your back.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast