Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod

To Pad...Or To Quilt...That's the Question

I've realy gotting into the hammock camping idea...and I've now got to decide...Pad...or Quilt...

I guess my question is...who uses a pad...and why...and who uses a quilt and why...besides weight...what's the biggest difference between a CCF pad and a quilt...I'd like both + and - comments on both aspects...Your comments will be the deciding factor for me. Thanks for all the help you folks have been.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

well, a pad is not compressible and easier to take care of, but bigger (for me anyways)

a quilt is more of a pain to take care of (mostly down), but cradles you.

that being said, i have no hammock expirence, just addicted and obsessed.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Pads:
    -Can be lighter if you choose the right ones
    -Very warm for the weight
    -Generally need some accessory for comfortable use (SPE, SuperShelter, etc)
    -Most regard them as less comfortable than quilts
    -Tend to be bulky to pack

Quilts:
    -Potentially heavier than pads
    -Generally pack very compactly
    -Typically more comfortable than pads
    -More expensive than most pads

There are a multitude of reasons to use each, and it really comes down to developing your own style/comfort. Both methods have been proven to work quite well.

Personally, I think the best scenario is to combine both methods. Use quilts as a more comfortable option until you reach the lower temp rating of your chosen quilts, then supplement with pads. You get the best of both that way. JMO
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I just got back from the MAHHA campout and there were at least 25 hammocks and I was the only fool with a pad. I do have my new potomic UQ, but I let my buddy use it because it didn't fit my bridge. I have slept many nights in a hammock on a pad, but that will soon change. If you got the bread get an UQ. If money is tight get a pad for now, but either figure out how to make one or get on in the future.

By the way my pad was soaked again from condsation.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

ya, i think pads will take away the fact that your hanging. its kind of odd to sleep more comfortably (hammock) but bring a flat surface.

How much primaloft is needed for a 3 season underquilt (how many layers of how thick) for someone who considers themselves very warm sleepers?

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    I am currently working through the same question and here is what I have through experience learned so far. A lot depends on the climate and conditions that you will be hanging in. I live in the Pacific North west on a coastal island so the winter temps range mostly between 35 and 45 F with an abundance of rain and humidity.

I made a double hull hammock this past summer with the outer hammock whipped in a bit longer than the top one. I velcroed the two outer edges of the shells so that I canopen them and insert a pad between them. My concern is mositure, so down filled components are a risk when doing multiple day hikes.

My current back pack is a G4 UL pack that requires an external frame and the CCF pad folded works perfectly for that. I just inserted a polyester fleece between the two hulls and it is held in place by velcro patches. I then made a light weight breathable waterproof fly that fits over the bug screen to help hold the heat in and act as a secondary tarp. Main tarp is a sylnylon. I have been hanging outside for the past week in it to work out the bugs before heading to the bush with it and have not had any issues with condensation or fog causing the hammock to get damp. Over the past week the lowest temp was 32F and the warmest was 45F. I use a 27F synthetic bag and on the warm nite just layed on top of it as it was too warm when inside it.

I have BYO snake skins and they slide easily over the hammock with the fleece liner installed and the over cover on the top. The total weight of the system with straps and all the stuff mentioned is 6lbs. including sleeping bag. The pack sack weighs in at 12 ounces so makes for a managable load for an old guy to carry.

My thoughts on what you use for a under quilt will depend on the conditions that you expect to encounter the most during use. If snow a freezing is the norm I would use down, wet and high humidity use synthetic.

I have no issues with CCF pads being to stiff or "flat" to lay on, in fact I prefer the feeling of using them to just using an under quilt.

IMHO it will all come down to:
    A)personal preferance and setting it up and seeing what makes you comfy.
    B)How you plan on using the system ( car camping or back pack camping)
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    First cool weather season in a hammock coming up for me now. I'll be using my Thermarest Trailite Large for this season. Primarily, I am out of $$$ for new gear purchases right now, so I will see how it goes for now. Next year I may look to make or buy an UQ.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    First cool weather season in a hammock coming up for me now. I'll be using my Thermarest Trailite Large for this season. Primarily, I am out of $$$ for new gear purchases right now, so I will see how it goes for now. Next year I may look to make or buy an UQ.
    if you wanted, you could make a pretty cheap & inexpensive under quilt using the quilt batting from wal-mart along w/ the $1.00 material.
    i'm just guessing that you could make one for not much more than $20.00.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    Well, I had not considered that . . . is there a pattern on the forum somewhere?

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    Well, I had not considered that . . . is there a pattern on the forum somewhere?
    here a thread:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast