DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    I doubt anyone would want to assert what's safe for someone else, because of the liability potential. That said, if *I* weighed more than 300# then *I* would want some detailed test results for my proposed setup and make a decision based on the results. I suspect many of our hanging setups don't have the safety margin that Samson Rope implies in their "working load" recommendations, but hanging in a hammock wouldn't exhibit the kind of dynamic loads that might arise in maritime or arborist applications so I personally feel pretty safe.

All the above is my humble and decidedly non-expert opinion, and definitely not a recommendation!

Is that weasel-worded enough?
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    The UCR is single loaded. The whoopie sling is double loaded. That means your weight in the hammock will not keep a UCR locked.
    Not exactly correct. I have used UCR's (7/64 Amsteel) since ZA206's original post. I've never experienced any loosening, even with just an empty hammock. Although I've considered it, I currently don't even use an extra device to keep the non-loaded end of the constrictor compressed. Never had an issue with the UCR slipping.

That said, I agree with the comments that the additional length of line in a Whoopie Sling is negligible. UCR vs Whoopie is really a personal choice. I agree with Frawg, try both and pick your preference. Half the fun of all this is in the experimenting.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    Not exactly correct. I have used UCR's (7/64 Amsteel) since ZA206's original post. I've never experienced any loosening, even with just an empty hammock.
    Irrelevant. The fact that you've had no loosening just means that you set your UCR well and friction has been enough to keep it locked for you. That doesn't change the fact that the weight of the hammock (with or without you) does nothing to keep the UCR locked. Unless you're using your UCR in a way completely different from what I've seen elsewhere, I could walk up to your hammock and cause your UCR to let go while you're in it. You would drop to the ground or at least to the full extension of the UCR. With a whoopie sling, you have to release the weight before it can be adjusted.

Boris

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Boris. I agree, nothing in the UCR locks the constriction in place. In fact, I've actually had the practical joker not so innocently ask "What would happen if I pushed right here", as I landed on my butt. I think I was trying to counter your comment that the UCR requires "some other way to tension the outer line or it will slip", but quoted the wrong portion of your post. I was merely offering my experience that the UCR doesn't necessarily require an additional method of tensioning. Provided that practical jokers are kept at a safe distance, the UCR holds up just fine without additional devices.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

You're totally correct. I should have said that the UCR can slip rather than will slip.

Boris

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Back to the safety issue...I know I've seen that we have a 340 lbs member using dynaglide whoopies. If they can do that I don't think we need to worry about the radius of the triangle ring used here. I would still ditch the ring and just do the whoopie through the webbing if that is the configuration you like. No need for it. You are never going to "saw" through the webbing with a whoopie sling unless you are doing something really strange that nobody else around here has come up with. Those are my two pesos.

Bat
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123