Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Oh, I forgot; I'm also going out to Colorado the last week in December to visit family and play in the snow. That should give me a pretty good indication of what will work and what won't. Then I just have to account for humidity.
    I might make it to Ed Speer's New Years Hangout on SPringer Mtn. Hopefully it will get cold.

Town has beer, and pizza. Oh, and hot beds.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm shootin for the new year hang too, but so far my track record stinks! Kind of looking forward to being unemployed now that I think about it.

Images
    I like my smartwool underlayers but they can be sorta fragile.
    I was hiking this summer and wanted to take a dip. I just had on the smartwool boxers. Well everything would have been fine if I hadn't decided to 'slide' down the waterfall
    So that pair now has about four holes in the bum part....
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah, Schlitterbahn is hell on shorts!

Usually I sleep in a pair of poly pro long underwear, poly pro long sleeved shirt, and either wool socks or, if it's really cold, down booties (usually have to take these off by morning - too hot, but feel great early on). Goes without saying, you need a warm hat and adequate bottom insulation. These last too are the most important for comfort if you ask me.

I seldom have to resort to multiple layers inside the bag. If I need something more, usually a fleece jacket is perfect. If you have an inadequate bag, and are trying to push it lower than intended, then you will need more clothing in the bag. Experiment tho. At times I have found adding the extra insulation underneath the bag was more effective than adding it inside. Plus it is a much more comfortable sleep if you aren't all bundled up like the child in a snowsuit who can't move their arms.

Also, very important is to make sure you remain hydrated, always have some water available at night, also a late night snack is helpful, as well as having something available for during-the-night snack (caution in bear country). The added calories will add a lot of fuel to the furnace.

One more tip - DO NOT resist the urge to pee at night. You will be much more miserable and this misery will intensify the discomfort from cold. Besides, getting out and moving around a bit will help warm you up, and when you return to your bag (still warm if you keep it closed up in your absence) you will feel great. Some people use a pee bottle which works, but nulls the two advantages mentioned above.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    I wear poly pro and merino wool blend tops and bottoms with poly pro wool blend socks. My secret weapon is to have an iron filing heat pad handy as a just in case it gets chilly back up. Have used it a couple of times experimenting with dif combinations and it does what it says on the package. Gives off heat for up to 18 hours. Coldest so far is 30F and didn't need the heat pad.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm trying to negotiate the winter with no pads, so clothing may become important. I'll be using the Peapod, a FF Winter Wren, and whatever clothing may become necessary for the conditions. Presently I have Paty Capilene 3 tops and bottoms, IceBreaker 260 tops and bottoms, Cocoon Pro 60 Parka and zipped pants, and FF two piece down booties.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    I'm trying to negotiate the winter with no pads, so clothing may become important. I'll be using the Peapod, a FF Winter Wren, and whatever clothing may become necessary for the conditions. Presently I have Paty Capilene 3 tops and bottoms, IceBreaker 260 tops and bottoms, Cocoon Pro 60 Parka and zipped pants, and FF two piece down booties.
    i've been eying that cocoon pro parka... if only money wasn't an issue
    maybe later.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    I dunno...it's hard to imagine no pad but there might be enough underinsulation.

I wear fresh Smartwool long underwear, fresh wool socks and booties, a balaclava, and fleece glove liners. To this, according to weather and temp, I add BMW's Cocoon pants and ID's Dolomitti jacket with hood. I use a 1/4 X 40 X 60" pad (7oz) but no bag or quilt. That's all good to 25F but no lower...the underinsulation, i.e., the pad, is the limiting factor.

FB

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Be a real man, sleep in your birthday suit! The frostbite will show how much a man you are... unless you-know-where gets frostbite, then it will be how much a man you use to be.

I'm a warm sleeper, my wife HAS to have a fan on to sleep, when it's in the 40-50's at night I just use a light blanket. Out in the woods it's long johns and wool socks and hat. I use a homemade underquilt and my 40 degree down bag as an overquilt. If I get cold I get in the bag, but most nights I'm sweating. Have not done any cold weather hangs yet. Have a 0degree bag for that. Now, my 0 bag has a half zipper with a zipper at the foot end also, think I could hang my hammock IN the bag and stay warm. Hmmm, might try that this weekend...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast