Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i've been eying that cocoon pro parka... if only money wasn't an issue
    maybe later.
    I slept last night at Neo's gathering with the old most basic Supershelter and space blanket and my 20 years old lightest summer bag ( semi-rectangular Qualifill- sp?-, maybe 1.5"- 2" thick total top and bottom, quilt style. Either 40* or 50* bag, can't remember.) Clothing was Cocoon pants and top with hood and mid weight merino wool top and synthetic long john bottom, medium weight wool socks. It only got down to 43*, but I was fine at that temp, though no where near too hot.

The Cocoon stuff works great but it really is pricy.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I slept last night at Neo's gathering with the old most basic Supershelter and space blanket and my 20 years old lightest summer bag ( semi-rectangular Qualifill- sp?-, maybe 1.5"- 2" thick total top and bottom, quilt style. Either 40* or 50* bag, can't remember.) Clothing was Cocoon pants and top with hood and mid weight merino wool top and synthetic long john bottom, medium weight wool socks. It only got down to 43*, but I was fine at that temp, though no where near too hot.

The Cocoon stuff works great but it really is pricy.
    glad yall had a good camp out.
    you probably saw the sell (20% off on cocoon stuff). well i shouldn't have, but i went ahead & ordered the pro parka.
    saved about $40.00 & that's what i've been trying to do... save money... right?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When it's warm, I usually just wear what I'm hiking in...swim trunks and a Coolmax t-shirt (or the Walmart equivalent).

As it cools down, I wear either silkweight or midweight synthetic thermals. Been thinking about switching to wool but Uncle Sam gives me the synthetics for free so the price is right.

My raingear is always a backup, and I used to bring a fleece jacket for colder temps...I'd wear the fleece outside of my rain jacket b/c even though it was wp/b it still acted like a pseudo VB and got my fleece damp.

But now (WOOHOO!!) I just got a Montbel ThermaWrap so I'll save weight and bulk over the fleece and still be warmer. And now I usually carry the silnylon Packa so it really would be a VB if I needed it.

Fleece beanie, and a Serius neofleece facemask when needed. My fleece gloves have half-fingers with the mitten fold-over thing, and I always have a dry pair of socks. Thickness depends on the weather.

And if I'm still cold, boiling water in my Nalgene bladder is heaven.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I am a strong proponent of natural fabrics...they are mostly quick to air dry and don't hold stink plus, in the case of silk, pack really small and, in the case of down, pack really light. Another reason I like natural fabrics is they are comfortable over a wide temperature range...for example, I've worn my Smartwook short-sleeved tee, hiking with a backpack, in temps from 40-70F...I am very temperature sensitive, which sucks...So, depending on temps I use, often in layers:

silk longjohns from:

http://www.wintersilks.com/

Smartwool short or long tees and/or bottoms

and Montbell UL down inner pants, vest and/or jacket...

I started, years ago, with the silk when it went on sale in spring...then added the Smartwool, also when I found it on sale, then, a couple of years ago, added the Montbells, which never seem to go one sale, with birthday and Christmas money...it is a very, very versatile system...eminently packable and light and ridiculously expensive if you were to buy them all at once...

Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    I am a strong proponent of natural fabrics...they are mostly quick to air dry and don't hold stink plus, in the case of silk, pack really small and, in the case of down, pack really light. Another reason I like natural fabrics is they are comfortable over a wide temperature range...for example, I've worn my Smartwook short-sleeved tee, hiking with a backpack, in temps from 40-70F...I am very temperature sensitive, which sucks...So, depending on temps I use, often in layers:
    i like them because they are naturally more fire resistant than most synthetics. like polyester for example which likes to melt onto skin.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234